AppleTV2 only showing Ethernet as an option, no WiFi

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cowbellallen, Jun 2, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have a 2nd-generation Apple TV in my living room, and it's currently connected to my router via an Ethernet cable. I need to move it into my bedroom, and for that it can only hookup with Wi-Fi.

I hookup the AppleTV to my bedroom TV, and try to connect it to my Wi-FI network, and nothing happens. No Ethernet cable is plugged into the AppleTV, only an HDMI and power cable.

I'll go into Settings>General>Network, and WiFi is never available. The only two options are 'Ethernet' and 'Test Network'.

I've tried reseting the device, restarting it, and all sorts of other things. I could have sworn this thing used to connect by Wi-Fi all the time before I had an Ethernet cable hooked up to it.

What am I doing wrong? This thing does have a Wi-Fi card in it, right? Why aren't there any options for getting this thing on a wireless network?

2. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Not showing any Wi-Fi networks. It's showing an IP address (even though it's not connected to anything), and all that other stuff, and if I want it set to automatic or manual.

I've tried restoring it to factory settings, as well as installing and older firmware on it. Nothing.

4. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Sounds like a hardware failure, sorry to say. You can have it repaired for a flat $59 out-of-warranty fee, which is well worthwhile - even if you wanted to just buy an Apple TV 3 to replace it ($85 in the Apple refurb store) get the ATV2 fixed, they're worth big bucks since they can be jailbroken.