AppleUniversal.com registry a hoax?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by timbloom, Apr 14, 2003.

1. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Domain Name: APPLEUNIVERSAL.COM
    Registrar: BULKREGISTER.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.bulkregister.com
    Referral URL: http://www.bulkregister.com
    Name Server: NSERVER2.APPLE.COM
    Name Server: NSERVER.APPLE.COM
    Updated Date: 11-apr-2003
    Creation Date: 11-apr-2003
    Expiration Date: 11-apr-2004

I think it smells fishy, but what about you guys?

the registrar is networksolutions for everything else that i can find that is part of apple.

2. bombensington macrumors regular

Re: AppleUniversal.com registry a hoax?

i don't know for sure, but isn't it pretty common nowadays for big businesses to gobble up all of the similarly named site names?

back when the internet was still not quite mainstream, people were registering domain names like mcdonalds.com and trying to force the company into paying big bucks to get them.

maybe apple wants to get this domain name just in case, so no one else can snatch it up first.

3. timbloom thread starter macrumors 6502a

timbloom

good possibility, but the fact it was registered through a different registrar than all the other sites really tips it off.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I know I know, it's coming from MOSR, but.....

Much attention has been focused recently on Apple's music download service plans, and a possible buyout of Vivendi's Universal Music division. Although Apple is indeed in talks with Vivendi about the possible acquisition, and the company has even registered a new domain for that purpose (appleuniversal.com) , there are serious concerns about whether the purchase would be a sound financial decision (Apple is presently very hard at work crunching the numbers with the help of Merrill Lynch and others) -- and there is, of course, the legal consideration of Apple's settlement with Apple Music, a UK company that handles the catalog of the Beatles.

Take it for what it's worth.

5. timbloom thread starter macrumors 6502a

timbloom

My current thought is that somebody either is cybersquatting or else just trying to set a hoax.

6. BrittasMac macrumors member

Running a whois at Network Soulutions comes up with this listing:

Apple Computer, Inc
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    US

Domain Name: APPLEUNIVERSAL.COM

Administrative Contact:
    NOC Apple Apple-NOC@APPLE.COM
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    US
    Phone: 4089961010
    Fax:
    Technical Contact:
    NOC Apple Apple-NOC@APPLE.COM
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    US
    Phone: 4089961010
    Fax:

Record updated on 2003-04-11 17:26:29
    Record created on 2003-04-11
    Record expires on 2004-04-11
    Database last updated on 2003-04-14 19:10:42 EST

Domain servers in listed order:

NSERVER.APPLE.COM 17.254.0.50
    NSERVER2.APPLE.COM 17.254.0.59

7. Bear macrumors G3

So, it's easy enough to register domains using fake information. Especially when the information is well known, like Apple's info is.

So this could be real or it might not be. *shrug* We'll find out soon enough.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ah, god has spoken, the rumor is false.
    :p ;)

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

well - it's just my opinion... and Apple's domain name servers aren't responding to it

arn

11. bombensington macrumors regular

usually when apple registers a new domain name, doesn't it usually point it back to apple.com?

i can't think of the specific address, but there was one recently (well, in the last few months, anyway)...

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

13. bombensington macrumors regular

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

To register a domain name, you have to go through a registrar.

AppleUniversal.com was registered through BulkRegister... which is a discount registrar... and as far as I know Apple's never used them before.

Also, the contact name is a generic Apple address, rather than a specific person that it seems to be with the other domains they own.

Finally, you have set specify a Domain Name Server which translates the domain name into an IP address. AppleUniversal lists Apple's domain name servers... The thing is, someone who has control of Apple's domain name servers need to add that domain to the Server so it answers when people try to reach the domain. In this case, those servers are not responding to AppleUniversal. Now, they may have "forgotten" to add it in... or don't want it pointing anywhere... but more likely, someone registered it to look like an Apple registration.

The only "catch" is that I'm not sure how bulkregister works - but they may have an online account to make changes to the account. Because usually, the technical contact can make changes to your domain... so whoever they listed (the @apple.com address) could make changes on this address.

arn

15. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

If they registered it, it wouldn't make much sense to link it to Apple.com because the deal isn't finalised yet.

Perhaps UMG registered the site... :cool:

16. bombensington macrumors regular

well i don't think that linking www.mammals.org to apple.com makes much sense either...but i'm sure one day we'll all know why it is so.

if umg registered the site, wouldn't they give their own contact information?

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Now how to pay for the purchase...

18. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

mammals.org asside, Apple registering appleuniversal.com and linking it might piss off vivendi and cause them to go elsewhere for a buyer.

On the flip side UMG might not want to link the site because it doesn't want apple to feel like they were going to sell at any price.

Granted, it's probably a hoax but these could be two possible reasons for either side to keep this quiet.

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

ha! Don't flatter me!

:D
    Nah, I don't think apple has the 6-7 BILLION to buy them. Look maybe 3.8 Billion or less and that is it.

I doubt that alot.

Attached Files:

20. Qball macrumors member

1. This won't point back to apple.com because it really means nothing at this point, i.e., Apple doesn't yet own Universal.

2. It costs so little to register a name, if there is even the slightest chance that the deal could happen, you would absolutely want to snatch up the name to avoid unnecessary legal squabbles later.

IMHO, all of this domain name business means nothing right now.

21. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

22. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Interestingly, the appleuniversal.com link no longer works...

'The server... could not be found...'

23. dguisinger macrumors 6502

Fake

If it was real, Apple likely wouldnt register for 1 year. Corporations have money, pranksters generally do not.

24. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but if a squatter bought this domain, he sure as hell wouldn't put Apple's info. Hoax? Yea, someone fealt like flopping down at least $15 and basically signing the info over to Apple by using their contact info. If Apple doesn't own it, they could say they did and the squatter would have to give it to them because of all the info is Apples. If this is fake, the guy who faked it is a completel and utter moron. I wish the same guy could play a hoax that I owned a mercedes!

25. makkystyle macrumors regular

thanks kid red. you took the words out of my mouth. QBall is right it just makes business sense to get the name IN CASE. Why would they wait till after the deal was done to buy a name that someone would have figured out by that point wasn't taken??? Think about it.

This tells us nothing except that apple is in talks with vivendi to buy universal... but wait... we already know that.

On a personal note though i do hope that eventually this link will point to apples site.