AppleVNCServer is freaking out

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bug, May 27, 2005.

1. bug macrumors regular

Hi All -
    I'm running the VNC server that is part of the remote desktop access in 10.4.1, and it will work for a little while, but eventually if I leave a connection open long enough (an hour usually does it), it starts to behave very strangely. First off, the connection I have open will freeze, and if I ssh in to see what is going on, syslogd and AppleVNCServer will be maxing out my CPU between the two of them. If I kill AppleVNCServer (does not require a -9), then CPU usage of syslogd drops to 0, AppleVNCServer is restarted automatically and will work again for a while.

I assume that AppleVNCServer is trying to log something that is going wrong over and over again, but I can't find anything in any of my logs that would suggest this is the case, I just assume this because it causes syslogd to use so much CPU time.

Does anyone know what this might be, or even what specific file to look at to see what might be going on? I've checked the Console.app in OS X, and reviewed all the logs in /var/log and there is no real mention of AppleVNCServer.

...for the moment I'll probably stop using the Apple vnc server and use something else, but it would be nice to know what is going on.

Thanks
    bug

2. ChristianMoe macrumors newbie

I have a G5 with same symtoms. The problem emerged when the fans was "screeming" and making a lot of noice.
    We are using VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.2

3. bug thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! Two years after I post this and finally someone has the same problem! Not that I'm happy you are experiencing the problem, but at least it means I'm not crazy.

I just use Vine Server now. I used to use one of the other OS X VNC servers, but generally I like Vine the best:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16699

Yes, its annoying because you can't just check the box for remote access, but at least it solves this problem.

...also you might want to try out chicken of the VNC. I like it better than the other vnc viewer, but to each their own.

4. ChristianMoe macrumors newbie

Yes; I saw the date after posting :)
    Thanks for the tipp - will check it out.

Christian

5. clindner macrumors regular

I am having a problem with AppleVNCServer, and it hasn't even been used.

I just sat down to find it was occupying all my CPU time, has 237 threads, and I have not tried to make a connection since I last rebooted....

Strange.

6. bug thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like this problem is more common than I had thought. I'm surprised this bug has been around so long!