Appleworks, but does it on Intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve_hill4, Feb 12, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

HAs anyone tried runnign Appleworks on one of the new Intel iMacs?

I have read a few topics that talk about the death of Appleworks with it not being included any more and not having a Universal binary made for it, but does it still work. As far as I knew it had been coded to run natively in OS X, even though the latest version was originally an OS 9 app. I hope this doesn't make any difference to whether it works on the new Intel based Macs or not. If it doesn't, has anybody tried it out on one yet and again, if so, what kind of performance did you get. Were there any noticable speed differences due to Rosetta?

I wouldn't make much use of Appleworks, but it would be nice to knwo for those who have old copies and want to buy a new Mac. If I even get enough time at work tomorrow, I may give it a whirl myself from one of the iMac G5 install discs or my own copy.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There was a recent thread where somebody claimed that he installed Appleworks on one of the intel iMacs in an Apple store and it worked. However, intel Macs do not come bundled with Appleworks anymore.

3. drew336 macrumors newbie

AppleWorks works fine on my 1.83ghz with stock ram. Takes 3 bounces to open, besides that I have not noticed any performance decreases.

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Oh this is good news for me, yay, I get to save $49 for something other than iWork.

5. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I couldn't find any topics that conclusively answered the question whether it worked without problem, only lots saying that it didn't ship with the Intel Macs.

I tried loading it from an iMac G5 installer disc and got what I expected, a message telling me it was the wrong config I was trying to install to. Oh well, I will take my copy in and give it a whirl. It's not for me personally, but I know other Mac users that still use AppleWorks to some extent and need to know if their old stand-alone copy is okay on the new machines.

Thanks guys.