Appleworks coming with Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brenton, Mar 23, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Does apple Works Come with Mac Mini. because the guy at the apple store in Florida said that it doesnt and it wasnt on the model in the store. but on the apple site it says it does and it shows an image of the appleworks Icon.

Also, I have a 30 gig Ipod Photo, and I also want to get a 40 gig Mac Mini. But Since I dont even have 100 songs yet. If 40 gigs isnt enough. I can use my Mac Mini Right. so should I get the 40 or 80 gig Mac Mini.

Also, I have a 17 Inch Dell Monitor and I want to use it with the mac mini. it sort of looks like one of those male or female plugs, except its alot skinnier. and its blue. will that work with mac mini, Thanks

I am a first time mac user and wil be getting a mini soon :)

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure (90% sure) that it HAS AppleWorks... but, Pages is the "new" AppleWorks, so maybe it doesn't

AppleWorks is pretty old...

3. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Another Question

If I am just going to use text typing like microsoft word and NONE of the others like Powerpoint, Excel, ETC Wil I need the microsoft package when I am just going to be typing lists and stuff

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Buying Office

Hey, Brenton. Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac!

If you have no real preference for a word processor, you can do lists and all that good stuff with AppleWorks (which should be on the Mini) or Pages (which is much cheaper than Word and is actually has a very promising future.)

If, however, you're feeling kind of attached to Word, you might as well buy all of Office. Word alone costs (at least when I bought Office) about 75% of what you'd pay for the entire package, so you might as well pay a little extra and get Excel and PowerPoint.

Granted, Keynote has me off of PowerPoint for good, but I do use Excel.

Will I upgrade from Office X to Office 2004 or whatever comes out next? I'm really not sure. Keynote's version 2 has everything I need. Pages is very good and will be great. I think Excel is the only real reason to stay Office dependent (until Apple fixes that). ;)

Enjoy your Mini!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Text Edit comes with every mac, you can use that for basic editing and most writing that you will have to do without a problem, if you dont need any of the fancy formating that word does

im not sure if apple works comes with the mini though

what model dell monitor do you have?

and about the hard drive, its up to you really, i always opt out for the higher drives, but thats because i know i will use the space, its up to you really there

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Appleworks DOES come with the Mac Mini. I have one, it has it.

7. Bear macrumors G3

They may not be loading the correct system image on the Mini in the store. All the machines in the Apple Stores get reloaded every day.

The Minis do come with AppleWorks.

8. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Just for the record: Pages is part of iWork -- and yes, your mini will come with Appleworks. Sadly, it also comes with Internet Explorer -- though one wonders why.

9. brenton thread starter macrumors member

10. brenton thread starter macrumors member

And by the way my Dell monitor is a DELL 1700 FP

11. kg9ov macrumors member

Yes, it does.

Yes, that should work just fine with the Mini also.

-Tony

12. brenton thread starter macrumors member

But its VGA not DVI

but my dell is a VGA connection thats blue on the connector. will that still work. or do I need the adaptor

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The mini also comes with a DVI to VGA adapter so that you can use, more or less, any screen out there...

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

A much faster (and more reliable) way to get answers about what's included with a particular Mac model is to visit Apple's website:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Scroll down to "System Software" and "Software."