Appleworks gone on clean install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Project, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Project macrumors 68020

A week ago I did a clean install on my new iBook because of a kernel panic and to free up a lot of space from printer drivers, garageband etc. I just went to load up the Appleworks spreadsheet and realised none of my Appleworks apps are there! There was not an option on the clean install to select the suite when all the other apps were an option, so I presumed that it comes automatically on the Tiger discs. How do I get the apps back?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I wouldn't think it would be on the Tiger disks. You should have a software restore disk from when you originally bought your computer. That is what you will have to use I think.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah nevermind I got it - I just put in the Tiger disc and selected install bundled software and it was on there... strange... Thanks anyway.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Appleworks does not come with the retail boxed version of Tiger, so you must have used the restore disks that came with your iBook.

Incidentally, it is very unlikely that reinstalling OSX will cure any kernel panic issues you may have.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yep, most of the time it's hardware related (RAM is often the culprit).

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

AppleWork pssff
    Get iWork when they update it(hopefully so it can have alll the things Appleworks has)

iWork 06 should(i hope) have
    Pages
    KeyNote
    Sometype Exel thing for Mac
    A GOOD Paint App for Mac(is want MS to put that in MS office 06)

7. Bear macrumors G3

I hate to break it to you, but iWork '05 only has Pages and Keynote. iWork '06 will probably have a spreadsheet application (Sheets or Cells are possible names). As for a Paint type program, there are already free, inexpensive and expensive options available - it just depends on what features you want and need.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes sorry about that meant to say iWork 06 should have those things, i use iWork so i know what it has,

Can you show me an App like MS paint for Mac OSX that it as good as that. Do not say gimp please!

9. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I dont have the problem anymore so it did cure the kernel panic. I had the iBook a couple of days so didnt really lose anything in the way of data. I was getting the panics after installing some software, and it is a brand new iBook with no modifications by myself, so im 99% sure that it was software related.
    I already have iWork, really like it, but it doesnt have what I needed Appleworks for.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

O ya iWork is missing a few Apps but it has what it takes to be the next iLife!

11. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Keynote is superb, and Pages has promise but can do with a few more versions before its matured, but iWork can be a great little package for Apple. They should start putting it in all new Macs as standard. They still need to think different though, and not just add different apps for the sake of it. Numbers shouldnt be "a Mac Excel". Take a note from Improv or Quantrix.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I would say anything is better than MS paint. Gimp is way better.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've never known a software install to induce a kernel panic, so I'd be very interested to know what application you installed that you think caused this. Chances are, if the panic was software related (very rare indeed), then it was caused by something that could be cured much more easily than by reinstalling the OS.

Don't take this personally, but I make it a point to respond to most of these "I clean installed OSX" threads because I think too many people are wasting too much time reinstalling OSX for the wrong reasons. Worse yet, they're reinstalling the OS in hopes of curing a problem that it will never cure.

People seem to be bringing this solution with them from the Windows world, I suppose because Windows has a nasty habit of hosing itself and reinstallation is the only practical solution. In fact it's rare for OSX to become so bolloxed up that starting from scratch is a necessary or even a good solution.

14. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

It was after installing some drivers for my ADSL USB modem to allow me to connect to the internet with Tiger. After rebooting I couldnt get into OSX. It would have the kernel panic on startup. I made a a thread about it asking for help as im a complete Mac newbie, and could find no answers at all. Theres an awful lot of talk about kernel panics on Mac forums, but very little in the way of solutions. As you can imagine id just spent an entire months wages (im a student who works part time) on my first Mac and I couldnt even get into the system! I decided to go with the clean install, and well, I havent had the problems since then.

15. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Which is all very well if you know what that reason is. If you don't (which probably applies to the majority of users) then the quickest way is to re-install.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You don't really need to know. Just run a good, complete diagnostic tool.