AppleWorks vs. Office X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Eckslusive, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Okay..I've been using a mac for 1 month now and I'm loving it. Except for the amount of games that are out there and the release days. Otherwise, its great!
    But since i've been using MS Office my whole life (and i still do with office x.), I was wondering...
    Which one is better?
    I can't find any comparison charts or anything...But i just wnated to know..Wat does the AppleWorks do that office x doesn't and vice versa.
    I dont want to use both because I want to keep the file name ext. consistent.

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

can't open the .pps with appleworks as far as i know (well bever tried..) .. but appleworks all the way!!!

if i'll decide i'll need something that is not in it, the www.openoffice.org, no M$ to my mac plese :D

3. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Re: AppleWorks vs. Office X

Unfortunately, AppleWorks does not do all that MS Office can do, just as MS Office does not do what StarOffice can do. For one thing, AppleWorks cannot read MS PowerPoint files; this is a problem if every slideshow presentation that you receive is MS-formatted. I can't really relate to MS Office features because I have less than seven days of experience with any of its incarnations, but AppleWorks does not have any of the advanced features that can be found in StarOffice. The big problem with AppleWorks and Apple office software development in general is the reliance on Microsoft. Microsoft is not the answer, not with its unreliable software, incompatible file formats, and abusive practices. Just because Apple advertises compatibility with the rest of the PC world doesn't mean that it exists. Having the ability to read some of the MS Office file formats does me no good if my files are formatted with standard XML, plus the AppleWorks converter doesn't always work when handling other users' MS files. Apple needs to get rid of its Microsoft dependencies quickly, or many more people will be asking as a condition of an Apple computer purchase: "Does it do [MS] Office?" I was given the opportunity to spend $470 on MS Office for my Mac; I thought about it and declined. I also considered purchasing MS PowerPoint because I needed that most, but the $370 "penalty for not buying the full Office package" price was an insult. If Apple wants to be different, it should transfer its AppleWorks development resources over to OpenOffice.org, and build AppleWorks 7 based on the StarOffice source code; then Apple could drop MS Office for good.

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Dropping MS Office compatibility is not an option when MS Office programs are what 95% of the world uses. If you're frustrated by Appleworks' inability to import Office file formats, that's not a call to scrap AppleWorks, that's a call for Apple or whoever to improve its Office file importers. AppleWorks is a wonderful, simple, non-bloated mini office suite. It would be stupid to throw that away. There's no reason it can't coexist alongside OpenOffice/StarOffice. I just hope for an Aquafied version of that office suite soon.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

get think free office. we have sold tons of copies. as far as my knowledge it does everything appleworks and office does. it even opens and edits powerpoints. plus it costs 50 like 40 or 50 dollars. i dont know if the rebate is over or not, but there was a rebate going. basically when you got your money back think free office cost like 20 bucks. get that or get office x. i think the purchase has to be made on the same reciept but you could have gotten office for 200 dollars with your mac. youll find a solution. personally i hate appleworks because it has and ugly interface. i dont think apple works to hard on appleworks because so many people use office. but i really think apple is working on a better version of apple works. i really think apple should make a home and pro user verion and put them on every computer. the powermac is already overpriced, give us some damn typing software at least.

iJon