Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I've finally installed fink and fink commander so I could install the gimp and maybe one day use it :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have Appleworks on my ibook and I was thinking about trying OpenOffice again. Anyone used both? Thoughts? Rants?

Thanks.

Elliot

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
if appleworks is working for you, i'd say stick with it. it starts up in a flash, has most of the features you need for moderate tasks, and is native (although not as native as we'd like). but there's no harm in installing ooo as well. it probably has a few more features than aw. for the very very brave, there's

http://www.neooffice.org

dprlynch

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
Houston TX
I've played around with both a good deal. When I was using a windows computer, Oo_Org was what I used. Now that I've got the iBook I use AW.

AW does run and load faster, is more responsive, and is a cleaner product. You also have your full printing options.

Oo_Org has more features. I LOVE their outlining ability far more than AW and MS. But, having to run it through X11 or FINK was just too much for me. I'm using AW until they develop a native version of Oo_Org for OS X.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Yeah, I also used Oo_Org in windows and in linux. Linux was the best performer but that interface is too hard to look at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.