Appleworks will not load

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btcomm, Dec 29, 2006.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

When I try to run it, it says that it can't because of a problem with the shared library and and there is an ok button.

I tried making a new user and it still won't load.

Is there some plists or some other files that it goes to access that would be causing this error? I thought I remember there being some obscure file that Appleworks accesses that you could just dump and it would work again but I could be wrong. I will post the exact error when I can. Or is it just an issue of the only thing that will fix this is reinstalling it?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you post the exact text of the error dialog box?

3. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Application Launch Failure

The application "AppleWorks" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "- <Appleworkds><MW_MSL.PPC.Shlb><Interfacelib><>"

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you fully updated (if you call a two-year old update "updated") to AppleWorks 6.2.9?

If so, I think you'll need to reinstall it. Make sure you uninstall the old version first...I think there's an uninstaller somewhere.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i didn't know people still used AppleWorks. hmm... :p

6. hana macrumors regular

Yep...some people do and even good old Claris works. They have a "well, if the Mac ain't broke, why upgrade?" philosophy.

I often am asked to convert files from somone who still has Claris Works on their computer (generating .cwk files). I am able to open those files (once I take the .cwk extension off) using both Appleworks and Pages. Then I convert them to Word.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

How about AppleWorks before it was Clarisworks?

The oddest one I ever had was a job to convert a company's databases out of Microsoft File 1.0. Had to find a machine that would boot OS 4.2 from floppy, first. Worth it though - it paid $750 to translate 300 K worth of data.

Molar of the story: If you have a valuable client list -- keep up with the times by upgrading, at least twice a decade.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

***upgrades teeth***

:p :D

9. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you very much guys. I did the 6.2.9 update and that updates like 3000 files now appleworks loads just fine.

10. hana macrumors regular

Yeah, it's either upgrade or later end up paying for an expensive crown. :eek: :D
    (couldn't resist another dental related pun)

By the way, I guess I'll be holding on to that USB external floppy drive for awhile...it might come in handy....

11. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

There is a user tip on this on Apple's forums - Shared Library Error