Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soulstorm, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    What happened? It has not been heard anything two years now! Is the project dead? I know it comes with any OS X but perhaps it's like Internet Explorer for Mac (anyone has it but noone uses it).

Does anyone use Appleworks? Or does apple think that we should buy Microsoft Office to do the work we were supposed to do with Appleworks?
  2. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    I agree that it seems like of most of what Appleworks is supposed to provide has been supplanted by other programs. I do use the Drawing and Painting programs for when I want to fool around or make simple models/paintings. For free software it is very good. I get Office free from my school, otherwise I would use the word processing and spreadsheet capabilities as well.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    iWork will eventually replace AppleWorks. Obviously iWork 05 does not contain all the modules required to fully replace AppleWorks so both are available at the moment.
  4. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004

I’d like to see a decent spreadsheet and database join iWork. As far as drawing and painting goes, one iLife program could handles these duties along with being the default image editor for iPhoto which will be purely an album and distribution program that at most re-sizes with basic cropping.
  5. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    Does Anyone?

Yes, absolutely does anyone use it. AW is (er - was?) one of the best designed programs out there. Simple. Small. Powerful. Predictable. Stable (at least the Mac versions). And flawlessly integrated.

Pages has taken over some of what I used to use AW for, but when I just need to get something done and get it right the first time, AW is the first thing I reach for. It's a shame it's been allowed to stagnate. I'd like to see them give it back to FileMaker (formerly Claris Corp, fully-owned subsidiaries of Apple) and see what they can do with it. Especially for the Windows version (since there's no Pages there to take over).