appleworks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Camille, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Camille macrumors regular

Who uses appleworks when there is iWork?
    And don't you think appleworks is old and needs to be updated?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I still like AppleWorks for the quickness and simplicity, plus the fact that it has simple database and spreadsheet functionality.

Sure, it's old, having come from the early 1980s, but it's works pretty well.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I realize that iWork does not yet do everything that AppleWorks did, but AppleWorks was replaced by iWork and therefore will never be updated again. There will not even be a universal binary version of AppleWorks.

4. portent macrumors 6502a

AppleWorks is dead, soon to be abandonware.

It's a shame, really, because AppleWorks was so perfectly integrated. You could embed any of the document types within anything else, and it would work perfectly, with full functionality. Neither iWork nor Office can match that yet. On top of that, it was a single, small, fast application. Even on an old G3, it flew.

Besides, iWork doesn't have a database (unless you buy FileMaker) or spreadsheet yet.

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I wouldn't be certain of that. AppleWorks is still listed on Apple's software page, right next to Filemaker and Final Cut Express HD.

FTR, I still use AppleWorks some. I'd use it more if it supported scroll wheels on mice though.

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I still rather use AppleWork's WP over Pages, just because AW is so solid.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

never use it, don't need the speard app of it, and iWork can handle my needs

8. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Same didn't come with my powerbook so have never used it, I have survived this long without it, a few more years won't hurt.

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

As long as Apple releases a new spreadsheet app, then then can (regretfully) kill off AppleWorks.

However, how much work would it be to release a Universal version of the software?

10. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Well its an Carbon app probably developed on Codewarrior (the port to OS X was faily quick and dirty by all accounts), so probably more effort than it is worth.