Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
i'm not a developer but i have an idea for an application to use with the new peer to peer feature in the new SDK so if you're a developer and are wondering what app to create next, please read. i was thinking about a chatting app where you can chat to people on a peer to peer network. i know some of you are probably thinking why would you need this because you would be close to the other person you are chatting with but what if you're on a bus and the other person is near the front and you are near the back. or what if you wanted to have a private conversation with someone else in the room. i would actually pay for an app like this (although probably not much more than $1.99). please reply to this post with your comments and/or some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism good or bad and/or some application ideas of your own.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
There is an app that does this already, but only with WiFi right now. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but the icon is black with two orange lower case i's.

Edit: iCloseBy WiFi. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it so it works on P2P for 3.0

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I'd love that! A lot of my friends in my classes have iPhones and there is no reception in the school. It'd be great if we could text over a local peer<>peer network.

chaten

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
app idea

I have an excellent Idea for an App that I need someone to create:

It is a nightmare to use the play-station control-pad to type messages etc on the play-station - I myself usually plug my keyboard in when typing on the ps3. But what about people that don't have a spare keyboard? Well how about an app that allows you to use the iphone as a wireless bluetooth keyboard for the ps3??? I have heard that the next version of the iphone software - version 3.0 actually supports bluetooth- So who is going to write this ace app in time for the latest software release. I need it so bad..

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How far can bluetooth broadcast?

Sounds like a test cheaters dream!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
sorry I am dumb but what do you mean test cheater?

Someone who cheats on a test, wierd phrasing i know, but i didnt want it to be confused with someone who cheats on a girlfriend or anything.

chaten

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Someone who cheats on a test, wierd phrasing i know, but i didnt want it to be confused with someone who cheats on a girlfriend or anything.

okay...do u think there is any possibility of some1 ever producing an app like this then?

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
bndoarn - good idea, I am not a developer either but I have some new ideas. Why don't you change the title of the post something like "post your new app ideas here" and we could all have a place to throw out ideas. (I know this has been done before but it is time for a new one)

My idea is to have an app that allows your mac to act as your wireless speaker phone. Maybe with a caller ID app/widget on your desktop. I would pay top dollar for that and I already have the iHome bluetooth speaker phone.

PS. I know that other phones have capabilities to interact with os x. I saw a demo of I think a moto razor that displayed the caller ID across the desktop...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
okay...do u think there is any possibility of some1 ever producing an app like this then?

Of course, it was the first thing I personally thought of. If two people can dream it up, you KNOW millions of others can.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
these apps are a definite possibility. another possibility would be for the iPhone itself to create an ad-hoc network (like a macbook can do... easily with 1 click) and have all your buds connect to it. you could probably figure that out with apps that are on the market now. like iCloseby - just setup a mac in the room and have everyone connect to it.

i would have LOVED to have something like that back when i was in school

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
How far can bluetooth broadcast?

Sounds like a test cheaters dream!

yea i see what you mean. i mainly want it so i can talk to people at school (while we're not testing) and talking to people i'm not sitting close by on the bus on field trips and stuff. i have pay-as-you-go so text messaging is $0.20 a message so i don't text at all except with aim but i don't have WiFi at school. i know the app i described would only work with other people who have iPhones and 2G iPod Touches but it's better than nothing.

I'd love that! A lot of my friends in my classes have iPhones and there is no reception in the school. It'd be great if we could text over a local peer<>peer network.

bndoarn - good idea, I am not a developer either but I have some new ideas. Why don't you change the title of the post something like "post your new app ideas here" and we could all have a place to throw out ideas. (I know this has been done before but it is time for a new one)

My idea is to have an app that allows your mac to act as your wireless speaker phone. Maybe with a caller ID app/widget on your desktop. I would pay top dollar for that and I already have the iHome bluetooth speaker phone.

PS. I know that other phones have capabilities to interact with os x. I saw a demo of I think a moto razor that displayed the caller ID across the desktop...

thanks for the feedback.

@DavieBoy: i edited the title

chaten

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
new Idea:London Mini Cabz

how about a new app- this one the phone figures your gps co-ordinate and works out where the nearest mini cabs are - useful for if ure out on the piss trying to get home. U could call the local councils get a list of all the mini cabs in the area.

Just a lot of data that needs to be added is the only problem,

chaten

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
new idea:smoothie app

an app that shows you lots of smoothie recipes etc.. health is always on the agenda.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
an app that shows you lots of smoothie recipes etc.. health is always on the agenda.

Yea I can not believe that this does not already exist Good idea.

As for using the iPhone for cheating. In college I was a "professional" cheater. Even wrote my final research paper on college cheating. I used all kinds of methods. The iPhone came out right after I graduated but for the people who I cheated with and were still in school it was a whole new level of cheating.

"I cheating on this exam, my taxes and my girlfriend today" - My brother to the spanish final exam proctor.

"If you don't cheat, then you are cheating yourself" - Me to everyone...

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
oh...really? u already thought of the ps3 wireless keyboard?

I thought of that one months ago. Plus allowing the phone to behave as a blue tooth remote for movies on the PS3. You honestly thought you're the only person to have considered this? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.