Application permissions - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Axegrinder, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

I thought I would give Firefox 2.0 a try so I downloaded it today and it works fine. However, when I log on to the second account I have on my intel iMac and try to launch it, I am told I don't have the necessary permissions.

I've tried right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Get Info" but any changes I make to the "Ownership and Permissions" section (such as making them the same as Safari) doesn't make any difference at all. No matter what I do, I can't get it to launch on this second account!

Can someone please explain how I should resolve this? I'm still learning my way around OS X having switched back in June.

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the app in your Applications folder or are you running it out of the DMG you downloaded it in? Have you tried repairing permissions in Disk Utility in the Utilities folder? :)

3. Axegrinder thread starter macrumors regular

Axegrinder

It's in the Application folder.

I've just tried reparing permissions but no joy.

Is this the norm when installing applications? i.e that they don't work on other accounts by default? I've only just recently added this second account so this is the first app I've installed since.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This sounds weird. Did you try installing the application from the other account?. I mean instead of installing it in one account and opening it from the other, just install it from the other account.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's not the normal/default behaviour. Did you set up any Parental Controls on this new account? If you don't know what I mean, then it's a pretty safe bet that you didn't. :)

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Another way would be to check the permissions on the app itself. Open a Terminal and navigate to the Applications directory. It is located under /
    then type ls -la |grep Firefox. The permissions should look something like drwxr-xr-x