Application/Utility to lock a window's position?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aftk2, Jun 11, 2004.

1. aftk2 macrumors regular

So, I'm migrating from OS 9 to Panther (and really am enjoying it...I feel like my aging computer has a new lease on life...even if the UI is a bit slower, etc... it's so much more fun to use.), and I've encountered something I'd like to do.

I've placed a folder in the doc, filled with applications I use, but don't use enough to place in the doc themselves. I've made this window a simple finder window (no brushed metal, toolbar, etc...) and turned off all view options...so it's really just a nice simple list of apps. I've positioned the window right above the folder icon in the toolbar, so now every time I click the folder, the window pops up right around where the icon exists (kind of like OS 9's tabs, although I never used those much.)

Now, my question is this...are there any programs/utilities (preferably not kexts or haxies, but I'll look at them if they are) that can lock my window's position? I can click on the icon right now and the window always appears in the same place, but sometimes my errant clicking will move the window a bit, and it's a pain to move it back to where it was. (I know, I'm being anal.) I realize that I could hold the mouse button or ctrl-click (only have the one button mouse) to just get a list of apps in the folder, but I like the quick pseudo-spring-loaded action...I just would like to make it impossible to move the folder accidentally (still would like to be able to close it, obviously.)

So, with that long-winded question out of the way...any thoughts?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Search for an app called "Cocktail" and use it to make invisible files visible. Open the window you're discussing and Control+Click on the .DS_Store file and make that read-only. This may or may not work as I don't know if the .DS_Store file stores window placement. BTW, if you feel tech enough you could do this in terminal without using Cocktail, but I don't know the Terminal command to do it.

3. aftk2 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I could make the particular .DS_Store file read only (for my account) with this:

chmod u-w .DS_Store

But that doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try logging out.

Thanks for the reply, btw.

Update: Yeah, it didn't take...and when I went into the terminal to view the file, the permissions were just like before...although I verified that they changed before I logged out. Strange..

Curses, Apple...this wouldn't be necessary if you'd have re-implemented tabs to work with the dock by now! :)