Applications in Finder Toolbar (Jaguar)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisH3677, Dec 11, 2003.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Hey! I just discovered you can drag and drop applications to the Finder toolbar!

You all probably new that so was wondering, from your experience, what apps you find most useful to have in there?

thanks

2. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I have only Safari and Mail there. All the other Apps (with aliases) I organized in Folders on the right side of the dock to have easy access to them and organized by the different kindsof aaplications. I just have to keep the mouse buttun down and then I have a menu from which I can choose the wanted app.

Placing apps directly in the dock is a nice feature, but considering how many diffferent apps I am using (and not all of them at the same time anyway), I have a totally crowded dock with 20 program icons, not to forget the mess with all the active and inactive apps plus the winodws parked in the dock... I like it clean.

groovebuster

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

cool

I didn't know that, like the idea and will try it tonight.

Thanks

4. radhak macrumors regular

how did you do this? do these folders sit on the dock, or on the desktop? (maybe a screenshot would be great).

5. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Radhak

I think I've already done what Groovebuster suggested. Here's a screen shot.

It'
    s just a folder (which I created in my Apss folder) which then has sub-folders for each category. I then drag and drop application aliases to the respective folders.

Then I dropped the main folder onto the Dock (right side of the divider for folders)

I know it's Windowsish but I am a switcher... Also it does have to be manually maintained.

Attached Files:

6. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

A screenshot to show what I mean about putting apps on the Finder toolbar (I've circled the 3 I put there)

Attached Files:

7. radhak macrumors regular

maybe window-ish, but works for me. thanks, i shall be replicating this myself.

by manually maintained, i suppose you mean it is only an alias, and changes to the application/ folder does not reflect automatically? i guess one can keep track of that.

8. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Yup! That's exactly what I meant and how did it too...

9. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dockdockdock

Radhack and Groovebuster

Check out Dockdockdock. It acts as both a dock switcher and a simple apps launcher (especially if you use "dummy" docks).

edit oops - wrong attachment! doh!

Attached Files:

10. ddbean macrumors regular

or...

for OS 10.3
    I just drag and drop my HD Icon on the dock right next to the trash icon and then I can navigate my whole computer from a list structure and it's auto-updated.