Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnyem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Melbourne - Australia
Recently I've had problems with opening some applications - well I should say that they're NOT opening. Applications like Microsoft Office (which is really annoying), Norton Antivirus and Systemworks, Windows Media Player and I can't install new version of Stuffit - they look like they won't load either when I click on them in the dock or from Finder. They bounce a few times and then nothing happens.

I've also recently downloaded a heap of updates since I was out of the country for a few months.

I've tried repairing permissions and that hasn't done anything and I don't particularly want to reinstall everything. I've tried reinstalling Office from the CD and it won't load either.

I'm a little anxious about the whole situation, can someone help please?

thanks,

em

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you tried creating a new account to see if it'll open the apps from there? For Office, I had a problem when I had DivX, 3ivX and Flip4Mac installed. I had to remove the first two to get it working properly. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, but which bit exactly? Or did you try both?

What apps are running when you're having these issues? Also, Norton software for Macs is pretty badly written, not to mention usually unnecessary. Removing this might be a good place to begin assuming you don't need it to connect to administered networks. :)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
mad jew said:
Sorry, but which bit exactly? Or did you try both?

What apps are running when you're having these issues? Also, Norton software for Macs is pretty badly written, not to mention usually unnecessary. Removing this might be a good place to begin assuming you don't need it to connect to administered networks. :)
I can't agree with this enough. Get rid of Norton. If you feel a bit better about having antivirus software then keep it, but the System Works is completely unnecessary. I found that every feature that System Works contained was a feature that my computer already posessed, be it PC or Mac. This comes from my own personal experience as well as many of my friends/relatives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.