Applications not opening after running software updater - Any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ManRaySky, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ManRaySky macrumors newbie

Hi

Sorry that my first post on the forum is a cry for help, but my ibook G4 does not work after running the OS X update from the Software updater. All installed fine but now if I try and open Safari, Mail or any utility programs I get an unexpectedly quit error message. :(

Any help on how to get everything working again would be great (can I roll back the update? Or have to reinstall from scratch?)

Thanks

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Welcome and sorry you are having trouble.

Which OS are you using? have you rebooted yet? I've never heard of this problem before.

3. ManRaySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

thanks for your reply.

I'm running OS X, and just ran the software updater with the latest upgrade for OS - I have to admit that I haven't run it for about 6 months. I've rebooted a few times, but the errors keep appearing.

4. islandmonusvi macrumors newbie

islandmonusvi

This sure looks like a Permission issue.
    Are you using the correct Boot Log-In with 'Admin' privileges ?
    Insert your Install CD ..holding down the "C" key. Then use Disk Utility to verify & repair Permissions.
    or use Terminal
    "sudo diskutil repairpermissions " ( no quotes ) then at prompt > Password:
    type in your password and hit > enter

5. ManRaySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. If that doesn't work would an archive an install be the best bet?

cheers.

6. ManRaySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

I tried using Terminal, and it seemed to repair permissions, however the applications still won't open. - Also it asked for the drive to repair permissions on so am I typing it correctly. I wrote

sodu diskutil repairpermissions / "name of owner"

I also tried to insert the install disk I got with the laptop and it keeps rejecting it. It thinks about reading it for about 10 seconds and then spits it out !

Any further help would be much appreciated. This is the first time I've had any issues with my laptop in 2 years so starting to feel worried :(