Applications wont open, just bounce on bar

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by ihonda, May 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

monopoloy wont open on my air OR my pro..

5/2/12 8:47:27.406 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x2d42d4].com.ea.monopolyclassic.mac.bv[11171]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Monopoly.app/Contents/MacOS/Monopoly", ...): Permission denied
    5/2/12 8:47:27.407 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x2d42d4].com.ea.monopolyclassic.mac.bv[11171]) Exited with code: 1
    5/2/12 8:47:27.409 PM Dock: no information back from LS about running process

is what i get. what does that mean?

----------

problem was solved by typing sudo chmod +x "/Applications/Monopoly.app/Contents/MacOS/Monopoly"

why do i have to do this is now my new question?

2. bfu
    macrumors newbie

Are you using The Unarchiver? Known bug in how it sets the Quarantine flag for new downloads. I don't recall if the bug is actually in Lion or in The Unarchiver, though. If you use Apple's built in compression tools, the bug does not pop up.

So when this happens, yes your chmod trick will work. You can also force quit the app in the Dock (which won't stop the bouncing) and then click on it. It will then go away. Re-launch the app and all will be fine. All the BS you may have been hearing about "corrupted user accounts" and "reinstall lion" and "oh you have a virus or a bad driver" is just that, BS. You do not have to reboot or boot from the OSX Install CD, or anything else that takes more than 1.3 seconds to complete. This is actually a very minor thing once you understand the mechanics at play here.

I'm frustrated about the crybabies on various forums that whine at the first sign of trouble and spend hours googling instead of getting their hands dirty trying to figure this stuff out. How do they think you get "better at computers" anyway? Once you're "better at computers" stuff like this doesn't happen because you just know how to work around it. "Wah! I'm going to sue apple because I was given a seizure from staring at the bouncing, WAH!" F them.

Sorry for ranting - anyway, kudos to you for coming up with a workaround of your own instead of just bitching about it cold. :)