appraisal needed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Mar 17, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Hi all, most of you know that I got my first Mac awhile ago, a 300Mhz blueberry clamshell with 320MB RAM, and it's been good to me even after I've taken it apart numerous times, switched hard drives in it and replaced (or will replace as soon as I can find one that doesn't cost $80) components.

The only thing wrong with it at the moment is the CD-ROM drive has been removed because it went bad not too long ago and I'm still looking for a replacement.
    Everything else works great though.

Cosmetically it's average for a three year old notebook I guess, some scratches on the bottom and one long thin one at the top but that's about it.

All ports (modem, ethernet, USB, sound) work like they should, no problems there, screen has two dead pixels (only noticable when that part of the screen is black or somewhere near that)and keyboard and mouse are working normally.

I've gotton about two hours battery life out of it at the most, it stays plugged into the wall most of the time so I haven't tested the battery life too often.

One thing you should know is that I've replaced the hard drive in it since the stock 6GB was much too small for what I do and it doesn't have Firewire so I couldn't use an external one unless I wanted it to be USB and I couldn't afford a newer one with Firewire sooooo.....
    If I do decide to sell it, I'll put the 6GB back in and buy an external Firewire/USB enclosure for the 40GB so I can use it with a new Mac (when I can afford one) and I've done this switch about four times already so I know what I'm doing. (I think [​IMG])

The reason I'm considering selling this is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find another means of income so I need to do what I can with what I already have and I don't nececcarally need this iBook, it just would be nice to have but if I need to sell it then so be it.

I've also had some success in acquiring broken Macs (G3 and up) that people would rather sell than fix and repair them myself and selling them to get some estra ca$h on the side but those are few and far between so if you've got a broken Mac that you would rather sell than go through the trouble and cost of someone fixing it then let me know.[​IMG]

Oh, and here's complated eBay auctions for blueberry clamshells sorted by price, just to get an idea, average ending price is about $450 from what I can tell.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...y&from=R2&ht=1&category2=25447&combine=y&st=2

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

It's hard to figure what the price should be. With out CD ROM drive, you might halve the sale price, if you fix it, $450 seems about right. Balance out what is fair for you and what will make the buyer most happy.

There is a good forum here for sales and trading. Perhaps that might suit your needs, or (even though this is financially not the best) find someone that really needs the computer and sell it at just below or what you see as fair. I did this once for a kid. I sold him my whole Newton setup, keyboard, software, batteries, etc... for the price of the Newton alone. It just felt like I was giving a trusted tool a good home.

I am in just about the position your in. My iTang is getting old and I need to upgrade or replace. Good machine though. I might get another year or two out of it, but I think with the use I put it though, it might not last.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

i would say 300 at the least, 550 at the very most.

(Oh, and while we're at it...)
    How much should i ask for a B/W G3 350, with 192 of RAM, 6 GB HDD, Photoshop 5.5, Mac OS X, OS 9, 17 inch monitor, Canon printer + scanner, etc. I need a fast G4, not that old thing. Note: this is not the ex-G3 in my signature...it is a completely different system.