Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Has any developer seen a problem where users report that an app crashes back to the home page a few seconds after launch, but the app seems to work just fine on all the developers test devices and on the Simulator?

Is this a problem with only certain types of apps (maybe those with potential memory/object dealocation issues)? Or with all apps?

Are some of these crash problems fixed by a reset, or complete OS restore?

pgk2008

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Many people including myself have noticed that installing apps from the iPhone, and then using 'sync apps' from iTunes on the PC leads to apps that do not start (app window opens, and closes again after ~1 second brniging the user back to the home screen). The only solutions that I have seen are (a) to disable app syncing, and reinstall the affected apps again on the phone, or (b) to install the apps via iTunes. -pgk

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I can't help but wonder if this isn't an issue with other apps that have run before using the "affected" application have poor memory management. This could cause the app to shut down as a way to attempt a cleanup of memory from the kernel.

I have had apps shut down to the home screen after a minut of use but after a reboot of the iPhone, all is well again. I will even reopen the same app and never have a crash.

Just my 2 cents.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I can't help but wonder if this isn't an issue with other apps that have run before using the "affected" application have poor memory management. This could cause the app to shut down as a way to attempt a cleanup of memory from the kernel.

All of an app's memory is freed as soon as it quits (even leaked memory), so that shouldn't be the cause.

However you could be on the right track in that the OS could be sending erroneous low memory warnings.

SwampThingTom

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Fairfax, VA
I strongly believe this is a problem in the iPhone OS and not a problem with faulty apps. It seems to be happening with many apps and, as others have said, rebooting the phone always fixes the problem.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.