Apps hijacking my Documents folder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by brap, Oct 24, 2004.

1. brap macrumors 68000

Does this bug anyone else? For example, in my documents folder I have:

Virtual PC List
    Roxio converted items
    Battlefield 1942
    Microsoft user data (ugh!)
    MacAmp lite X

Why, why, why aren't these all in ~Library/Application Support/...? Someone give me a rationale, because it's been one of the biggest irritations since the dawn of... well, 10.2 when I started using X.

Think I'm just going to have to make another documents folder all of my own somewhere. :mad:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

lol :)

That's what I ended up doing 'cos I wasn't sure what to do with similar items. At root level of my account folder which I back up every night...

Nowdays, I never use the Documents folder... I better check to see what else has turned up in there...

3. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah. I mean, if Mozilla get it right, why the hell can't, or won't Microsoft. It's the principle of the thing... ah well, maybe I just need to keep taking those Rx tabs.

Congrats on the 'tar, by the way.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks! :D

Been spending so much time being busy hanging out here as I've been off work ill for the last two weeks & there's nothing on telly...

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Windows is the same way. I even created a new Documents folder outside of the Administrative folder. It's just C:\My Documents, like with Win98. I still get Adobe and Logitech and Office trying to put crap in there, even though I tell it not to. I don't blame Apple, or M$. I blame the thrid party software. Though in this case M$ does get blamed too, I guess. iTunes is kind enough to ask you where you want to put it.

There must be a way to move that. Put Office User Data-type folders somewhere else. Could've sworn I did it once with Win2000/Office2000, shouldn't be that hard with the Mac version.