Apps on non-boot disk ??????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mbdamdg, Aug 27, 2005.

1. mbdamdg macrumors member

May 14, 2005
    St. Louis, MO, usa
    Is it possible to run applications off of a non-boot disk? In other words, can I install an app (like Adobe CS2) on my secondary hard drive in my Powermac G4?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    The way I understand it, you can install the App anywhere you want, but without a lot of screwing around, you will not be able to keep the Library files (which in Adobe's case, are considerable in size) from being on the boot drive. The only way that I am aware of around that is to create a second library folder on the other drive, and then move the files there manually, after installation, and symbolic link them back to the original library. In other words, PITA. :(
  3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I partitioned my HD, essentially creating a "boot drive" and a "data drive" ... some apps I can install away from the main OS drive, some I can't. I have Adobe CS, Microsoft Office, Macromedia MX running from the other partition just fine. Apple apps (iLife, iWork) tend to stay on the OS partition due to software updates and libraries. I haven't fiddled with them.