Apps running in background

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jnardis, Aug 2, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Iphone 4: Is there a way to turn certain apps off once you exit out of the app instead of double tapping the home screen button every time you open an app to turn it off??

2. macrumors 6502

no

3. macrumors regular

Apps have to be coded to run in the background, it doesn't just happen automatically. And no, there is no way to turn that off globally or even on a per-app basis (we'll see what jailbreaking brings though).

Which app are you talking about and what is it doing (or what do you think it is doing) in the background?

4. macrumors G3

Just because an app is in the tray doesn't mean its running in the background.

5. macrumors 601

PNutts

No, but they are taking up application memory and you will eventually run low/out.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the battery is not being used when I have apps in the tray? When I bought my iphone 4 the apple genius told me that this would consume a lot of battery life if I didn't go into the tray and exit out each time.

7. macrumors G3

The phone has 512MB of memory, that's not going to happen very frequently, and should the phone does run low it automatically quits the least used apps to free memory.

8. macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, that person was wrong. The only thing they're using down there is RAM.

And it's impossible to "run out" of RAM. Once you're out of RAM the phone will kill the oldest app and give the RAM to the newest one. You don't need to wory about it.

What will use battery are the background processes. Like, if you're listening to Pandora in the background or tracking yourself with a GPS app. But if those things are happening it's because you want them to be happening, so that's really not the same thing you're talking about.

9. macrumors 603

We desperately need a sticky explaining the (limited) way Apple implements and allows multitasking.

10. macrumors 601

Generally they don't.

11. macrumors 6502