Apps to make a partition without deleting Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tirengarfio, Nov 7, 2006.

1. tirengarfio macrumors newbie

Hi,

im want to make a partition to install linux.

I have installed mac os, and someone told two apps to make a partition without deleting first mac os from the hard disk.

These apps are iPartition and VolumeWorks.

Do you know any more?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have an Intel Mac, Boot Camp can also be used to repartition the drive (with some limitations, like there can be no OS X data on the area of the drive that you wish to repartition).

3. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Drive Genius I think does non-destructive partitioning(I only use it for cloning). I've had good luck with iDefrag so I expect the same quality out of iPartition. If you have an intel mac why not go with Parallels and run linux in a virtual machine. At work I have half a dozen VM's of various OS's on my MBP, Linux, Vista, XP, 2K, Free BSD. Really the way to go.

4. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I've used iPartition, but IIRC, it can only partition a volume other than the currently running one. In other words, if you have only one internal HD, you can't partition that drive if that's where the OS and iPartition are installed. The solution for me was to reboot my machine whose drive I wanted to partition in Target Disk mode and to run iPartition on another machine connected via Firewire.

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

They have a free application you can download when you log into your account called Coriolis CDMaker. This will make a bootable CD for Intel or PPC and place the registered versions of iDefrag and/or iPartition on it. Couple clicks and you are on your way. It's a pretty slick setup, no extra drives required.