Apps unexpectedly quit

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Nermal, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This might be a hardware problem, might be a software problem. I've posted in Hardware to avoid the barrage of iTunes for Windows messages.

Recently, I've had a lot of apps unexpectedly quit. It can happen when I'm launching a different app, or just for no apparent reason at all. Sometimes I won't even be touching the computer and it'll suddenly tell me that something has unexpectedly quit.

Sometimes, it just drops out to a blue screen with no warning, then reloads Finder and all my startup items. Anything else I was running would disappear.

And sometimes it'll drop me out to the login screen for no reason at all (I haven't seen it do this since removing my second user account - perhaps this problem and the one above are one and the same, and it's just automatically logging me back in since I'm the only user?)

Now for the hardware side of things. I have an 800 MHz iBook (Nov 2002 version), which contains stock-standard hardware with the exception of a 640 meg memory upgrade I installed 6 months ago. I have noticed the hard drive getting quite hot recently, and the fan hasn't come on. And the weather's by no means cold here either, it wouldn't surprise me if my iBook's been subjected to 35-40º in the car when I'm driving back from classes in the afternoon.

So has anyone experienced this sort of problem before, and any ideas?

2. jamall macrumors regular

What version OS are you using, and how full is your disk? Have you tried repairing disk permissions? I had a similar problem a while ago which Diskwarrior was able to fix. I took my iBook on a trip out to the centre of Australia for a few weeks recently where the temp wasn't below 35° much at all and it went fine, so I don't think the heat would be the problem. One of the photos that iPhoto processed along the way

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

perhaps using panther and these things happend after the update, and you haven t restarted ?
    That might be the problem. I know some people where a little restart did some wonders *g*

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't believe I didn't say what OS I'm running! It's 10.2.8. I've got over 5 gigs free. I'm looking forward to getting Panther though :)

Yes, I have restarted. Any more ideas?

Edit: Just realised that I haven't repaired permissions, I'll give that a go a bit later on.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

One of my friends has been playing games on my iBook all day long, and it didn't crash or quit at all. The power supply wasn't plugged in. Every time when I use it, I keep it plugged in. I need to do some more testing of course, but this sounds like it could have something to do with it.

6. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I have had exactly the same problems as you have had on my PowerMac. I tried everything. Eventually, however, I had to backup and erase my hard drive and then reinstall. I did find out however that I had some bad RAM in my computer by running TechTool. It's either the RAM or 10.2.8. I suggest first checking the RAM and then possibly going to Apple. Hopefully, you won't have to take the path I was forced to take. Good luck!

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I'll have to try taking the RAM out and just using the standard 128 megs, and see what happens. The RAM "shouldn't" have any problems, but you never know. It's under warranty anyway if I do need to get it replaced.

In fact, I've got nothing to do at the moment, so I'll try taking the RAM out now and see what happens. I'll see if I can find TechTool and run a test too.

Thanks for your help.

8. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I don't know about many programs, but I do know safari often quits when there is java error on the webpage.
    I'd highly recommend to scan hdd with the antivirus. I'm using Norton Internet security 3.0 and very very happy woth it.
    The best thing bout it you never have to pay to update it. And it's very snappy.
    If there still is a problem, try running some optimization software.
    But I'd save all the stuff u need and reinstall the system. Wait till the oct 24, if you are planning on getting panther. I'm pretty sure it would fix those problems.