Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Hi all. This is not a "how to" question. :)

My iPhone stopped transferring applications purchased on the iPhone back to iTunes. However, I can still transfer apps from iTunes to the iPhone. Not jailbroken.

I've searched and tried a number of things: Reboot iPhone; iTunes on a different computer (both PC and Mac); Deauthorize/Authorize computer; Tried "Transfer Purchases" which transfers a TV show I purchased but none of the other apps both purchased and free); etc. I'm hoping there's a tweak to knock them loose. I am hesitant to sync to the other computer because of the message that all apps will be replaced by the ones on the computer. I seem to remember that if I go ahead and select that it will ask to transfer the apps not found on the computer, but since the problem is that they won't transfer I'm concerned that the apps won't transfer before the sync erases them.

I don't mean to be lazy but I don't want to re-download all the apps not knowing if that will solve the problem. I have most of the apps on the computer except for the updates and some newer ones. I don't use the computer much so I don't want to manage everything from iTunes.

If there's a way to do so, I'm OK manually copying all the apps from the iPhone and then wiping or syncing the phone from scratch. The goal is to not re-download all apps in whatever form that takes.

Thank you for any thoughts!

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
California
Hi all. This is not a "how to" question. :)

My iPhone stopped transferring applications purchased on the iPhone back to iTunes. However, I can still transfer apps from iTunes to the iPhone. Not jailbroken.

I've searched and tried a number of things: Reboot iPhone; iTunes on a different computer (both PC and Mac); Deauthorize/Authorize computer; Tried "Transfer Purchases" which transfers a TV show I purchased but none of the other apps both purchased and free); etc. I'm hoping there's a tweak to knock them loose. I am hesitant to sync to the other computer because of the message that all apps will be replaced by the ones on the computer. I seem to remember that if I go ahead and select that it will ask to transfer the apps not found on the computer, but since the problem is that they won't transfer I'm concerned that the apps won't transfer before the sync erases them.

I don't mean to be lazy but I don't want to re-download all the apps not knowing if that will solve the problem. I have most of the apps on the computer except for the updates and some newer ones. I don't use the computer much so I don't want to manage everything from iTunes.

If there's a way to do so, I'm OK manually copying all the apps from the iPhone and then wiping or syncing the phone from scratch. The goal is to not re-download all apps in whatever form that takes.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Could you please specify your iPhone? Generation, how long you've had it, is it under warranty? How long has this problem been going on for? Is there any reason why you want to save the apps? Looking forward to a response from you. :D :apple:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You can go to ANY computer that is authorized and transfer purchases. You're doing something wrong. You can also backup your iPhone. And you can sync contacts, calendar (the stuff that is also backed up) to a new computer. I have my stuff on 3 different computers. It's only when syncing music, photos, etc. that you'll be told everything is going to be erased.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Same Issue

I have the same issue with my iPhone 3G. Any applications that are purchased on the phone itself will not transfer back to iTunes after I sync. The dialog box in the top says they are transferring but they never do. I know I can just download them on iTunes and resync, but the it is just frustrating that it doesn't work. I've tried using "File" "Transfer Purchases to iTunes" as well, same result.

What's going on?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have the same issue with my iPhone 3G. Any applications that are purchased on the phone itself will not transfer back to iTunes after I sync. The dialog box in the top says they are transferring but they never do. I know I can just download them on iTunes and resync, but the it is just frustrating that it doesn't work. I've tried using "File" "Transfer Purchases to iTunes" as well, same result.

What's going on?

Hmmm, try reauthorizing and then authorizing the computer and try to transfer again. I've never heard of this behavior except when trying to transfer cracked apps.

lilkimmy2468

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
hmmmm i have a aquired the same problem recently except with my ipod touch which tells you that the problem is obviously not just with the iphones and i only purchased my touch around 2months ago so its fairly new.....:cool:

my problem didnt just come out of anywhere though...i'm a windows user not a mac and recently my semi-old laptop ran out of memory until i decided to clean my C: Drive as of today and then the problem came up when i synced my touch with the full C: Drive......it then cleaned my itouch of alot of stuff music as well as apps vids etc since it couldn't hold the files in ipod format somewhere on the C: Drive :mad:...

so my itunes just kept random vids apps and music...and deleted others or whatever...and were deleted in random order......like not dating from old to new or alphabetical etc...:confused:

of course they were still on the computer but not in itunes and therefore not on my ipod.....since then i've managed to sync the lost music on but the apps won't sync back onto the comp from the ipod (might i add these are apps that werent lost or new ones(the ones that wern't lost are in itunes but the new ones wont go on) as fjfjfjfj stated i have the same problem where it says that the apps are syncing on but they don't:confused::confused::confused:.....

Same Issue

What's going on?

this sooooooo needs to be solved...:confused:

P.s i've already tried de-authorizing and then authorizing the computer and it still wont sync the apps from the itouch to itunes

LeoLion

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
Nodnol (red dwarf reference)
I have this exact same problem... not running any cracked apps or anything dodgy like that - everything's 100% above board - running the latest snow leopard / latest itunes / latest iphone OS....

:(

RRaines

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
More of the Same

I just bought an iPhone and an iPad for me and my wife. Love the graphics and apps. I also got two new PCs with Windows 7 (necessary for work). After loading apps on the iPhone I tried to transfer them to iTunes so that I could upgrade my iPhone and then sync them back down. I have repeatedly Authorized and De-Authorized my computer (along with reboots etc.) When I try to transfer them, the error message says that my computer is not Authorized (which of course it is). I have been searching the web for solutions but have not seen any yet. Anyone figure this out?

daleksec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Lost everything

I have an iphone 4 (has not been jailbroken at all). Over the last week i have purchased several albums. When i clicked transfer purchases in itunes today it found nothing and then decided to wipe all these purchased items from my phone. I've emailed customer support but no reply as yet.:eek:

aries1984L

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
"If the iTunes Store purchases on your device were purchased with multiple accounts, you will need to authorize the computer for each one."

this helped me when SOME of my apps loaded and some didnt
(hope that may help)

Eyenstyn

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry ignore post below, it was meant for the thread concerning: cant transfer apps from itunes to iphone.

authorising my computer didnt work for me.

i was able to fix this problem by clicking on my iphone in the devices list, within the device screen there is a tab menu at the top for: summary,info,apps...click on apps. You should be able to transfer your apps to your iphone from here.

i usually drag and drop my apps to my iphone...so i am not sure if you were using this method previously?

Last edited:

barbarobravo

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Fix

Same thing happened to me. I had loads of new apps on my iphone 4 and they refused to transfer to itunes. Tried reauth, no change.

This is what i found:

The transfer process cannot be interrupted. The more data you have the more amount of time the iphone need to transfer. Turning that time you may get text messages, mail may be grabbing more messages, push notifications are going ect.

What I do is set my iPhone to airplane mode, thus making the transfer interruption free. Works every time.

mlambert890

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Tons of threads on this. No real fix for the core problem. Lots of unhelpful and annoying comments like "No! Not possible!" from schmucks though.

There are a few things that CAN cause this, some fixable.

There are cases though, where for some unknown reason, something internal goes wrong. ITunes says transferring, app names fly by, nothing ACTUALLY syncs.

It is NOT an authorization issue

ALL that "fixes" it is wiping the device and starting over. Losing all app history and data.

The ONLY other way is jailbreaking in an manually resetting the app install plist file.

It's an annoying problem. Been around forever. Apple ignores it. Says "well you must have done something wrong". Ok great. So how do you fix it? "dunno". Well what can cause it "dunno"

Yeah... Great work! Lol

Apple is normally great on support. This particular case is not one of those times. The issue is YEARS old

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Have the same problem. NOTHING works to fix it! It seems to be permanently broken.:mad:

jessscanlan

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
This worked?

I was having this exact same problem but it seems to be fixed now. I couldn't transfer purchases from my phone or sync my phone so I ran the diagnostic tests under "help". During that process I had to insert an audio CD as part of one of the tests. The tests all checked out fine including the sync test. Afterward I didn't remove the CD and itunes asked me if I wanted to add the music from the CD to my iphone. I clicked no. For a long time my computer itunes said "syncing users iphone" it stayed like that for a long time with nothing happening so I unplugged my phone and closed the program. I reopened it and plugged my phone back in. I once again tried to transfer purchases from my phone since I hadn't had the chance immediately following the diagnostic test and this time it worked. I have no idea what part of what I did fixed it but I thought I'd share, I hope everyone manages to work theirs out as well. What an annoying problem!

haroldpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Bump...

I try to avoid "syncing" my iPhone with iTunes whenever possible due to the seemingly utterly unpredictable consequences it can have but before upgrading to iOS5 i decided to try and sync my apps for whatever reason and so to back them up first through the Transfer Purchases Function.

What I am finding is that while it sometimes seems like none are transferring they are actually transferring one or two at a time. It must be said that i have rather a lot of apps (~180) of which about 130 or so were backed up. I have set my phone to Airplane Settings as suggested above and maybe that is helping, i'm not sure...

cbanselmo

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
what i did was from the PC that has all the applications purchased i went to this folder
Libraries-->Music-->iTunes-->iTunes Media
From there i copied the item folders of the purchased application like Books and Mobile Application and paste it on the same location of the newly authorized PC
I then selected all items in those folders to the Itunes Library
After that you will be able to see now the purchased application on the Device Application window
Then you can Sync

Cheers

Aurora91

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Apps will not transfer from iPhone to iTunes

try Libraries-->Music-->iTunes-->iTunes Media etc. Or get a third party tool like imedia transfer, freesynctransfer etc.

Dubzie140

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I thought I had this problem, then realised I hadnt checked the "automatically sync new apps" box in iTunes on the iphone's "apps" toolbar. Im not saying everyone is as stupid as me, but might be worth double checking :D

vasili7

Suspended
May 7, 2013
Batavia City
In My Case, I Do This

This is happened to me today. Any apps that my iphone purchased, didn't transferred into my itunes.

i've been solved it. in my case it's happen since i'm turning on icloud backup on my iphone.

so, i just turning it off again. and after that, all my apps in iphone, transferred into my itunes.

you can found how to turn icloud backup at Setting-iCloud-Storage&Backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.