Apps won't open--conflict?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbc79, Nov 18, 2004.

1. dbc79 macrumors newbie

I just installed all of my "software updates" and also installed Adium (IM program) and evil Internet Explorer on my PowerBook G4--now, several applications refuse to open, such as Calculator, Quick Time Player, Mail, iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band, Acquisition, and LimeWire. Additionally, MacHelp won't open, even if I use command-? instead of the drop-down menu. There must be a conflict somewhere--please help!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Since you've done some installations, it's probably a permissions problem. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility), select your disk, then click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If HexMonkey's suggestion doesn't work. Check Font Book to see if any System Fonts are broken. If the original Helvetica is replaced, missing or broken most of Apple's programs may start to act up...

Edit: If Font Book won't open (which is a possibility) after you've repaired permissions I would try to replace all fonts in <Your HD>/System/Library/Fonts with a set from a working machine (if you can get hold of that)...

4. dbc79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both repairing the permissions and resolving duplicates in Font Book; the problem is still there. Since I have AppleCare, I'll just go to the Apple Store or TekServe tomorrow and see if they can fix it, unless someone has a better idea.

From what I read online, this is related to a conflict w/ the 10.3.5 update--is there a way to uninstall the update?

Thanks for your help.

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You could try creating another user and checking if the problem occurs there. If it does, then the problem will be due to a corrupt file somewhere in your user's Library, in which case you can use trial and error to find it by moving things in and out, then checking if the problem still occurs.

No, the only way to go back to a previous version is to reinstall the whole system.