Apps won't open

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c6viperkiller, Sep 22, 2005.

1. c6viperkiller macrumors newbie

c6viperkiller

Occasionally, I will be using the computer and surfing the web when the internet will cut out. I know it is working b/c other computers can still get to it. Then, I try to open another app, and they will bounce forever and not open. Then, when I go to shut down, it will never get off the background screen. I have to force it to shut off by holding the power button. I have tried the usual repair of permissions but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions. I am running 10.4.2 on a 15" Powerbook.

2. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

yeap, i got it now. Too lazy to read all the way down.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Did you not read the post o_O the OP said they tried that

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Strange. Have you installed any RAM yourself? If so, maybe run it without the new RAM for a while. Also, does Disk Utility still verify the SMART status on your hard drive?

Otherwise, read through these:

fsck

PMU

PRAM & NVRAM

One of these should help. :)

5. besler3035 macrumors 6502

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I did a fresh install of Tiger the other day and haven't had problems since. It seems that it only happens every once in a while, at least to me, when it did happen.

6. c6viperkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

c6viperkiller

The computer is still the same as when I bought it hardware wise. I have looked on the Apple discussion boards and others do have the problem. However, no one know why it is happening. It seems to have sprouted up in 10.4.1 or later. I don't recall it happening very often before then. Now, it has been ridiculous. I will have to restart 4 times in a 2 hour period.

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Did you consider reinstalling your system. 2 hours and you should be back on your feet, depending on the number of apps you have installed.

Back up and do fresh install or do Archive and Install

8. uncle_sam_ie macrumors member

The same thing has been happening to me so I did some searching on the web and it looks like this is a BUG!. It appears that something in the Java update, combined with recent changes to several web sites (notably Fox News) exacerbate the situation and cause lookupd to become non-responsive, causing the problem. Some have found disconecting the cable from the ethernet port has fixed it. Or, you could try a different browser.

9. c6viperkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

c6viperkiller

It seems many others have this problem after searching the Apple Discussion forums. The consensus seems to be that it is something with lookupd. This site has the posted workaround

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@82.rfmnaxMqVvP.9@.68b57421/25

It seems to work for the users however, i have no clue what the terminal commands are doing.

sudo mkdir /etc/lookupd
    sudo sh -c "echo TimeToLive 300 > /etc/lookupd/hosts"
    sudo sh -c "echo ValidateCache NO >> /etc/lookupd/hosts"

Does anyone know what this does? And how to change it back if necessary?