AppShopper Returns to the App Store With 'AppShopper Social' for iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Back in September 2010, our sister site AppShopper launched a dedicated iOS app offering users easy access to app-tracking features such as updates and price changes. But after two years on the App Store, Apple removed AppShopper in late 2012, citing a rule against apps that could be confused with Apple's own App Store app.
    Since that time, several other developers such as AppGratis have seen their apps removed from the App Store, reportedly as part of a broader crackdown on app discovery apps.

Over the past several months, the AppShopper team has been reworking the app to add a more social component, and that effort is now showing up with today's launch of a brand-new app, AppShopper Social.

[​IMG]
    The Next Web has more on the return of AppShopper:
    [​IMG]
    A blog post at AppShopper notes that this 1.0 version of AppShopper Social brings back much of the core functionality of the original AppShopper app but that a number of features such as native iPad support and Top 200 lists are not included. Those features will be brought back in future updates.
    AppShopper Social is available now as a free download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AppShopper Returns to the App Store With 'AppShopper Social' for iOS

2. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

A great workaround for Apple's stupid rules. I wish that an iPad version is coming!

3. macrumors 68020

Great app! Lets hope Apple doesn't pull this too...

4. macrumors 603

saving107

Instead of going to the media to complain like a 5 year old who's parent won't buy them another toy, why can't AppGratis just do this (if in fact their company is doing nothing wrong)?

The App (App Shopper Social) looks nice, good job.

5. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Excellent news. App shopper is and always will be a must for me.

Thanks!

6. macrumors 6502

iPusch

awww, your sister site... now I like this app :)

7. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Phew

I was really missing appshopper on my iPhone (which I lost when I had to do a restore)

My iPad version is still intact and i'm eager to try the new social features. Welcome back.

8. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

It's coming. It's only a matter of time.

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you follow "macrumors", it shows any apps we've mentioned in articles in real time

Attached Files:

10. macrumors 6502

Illusion986

Did apple see app sales drop after this crackdown so they decide to ease up on it? Personally for me it's quite hard to find apps on App Store, given that I know what I want the app to do but I dont know the exact name of it or if it even exists...usually I need to go to google and figure it out that way before going to App Store as even if you make a typo in a name it won't find it...it's great for angry birds and other popular time killing apps but not so much more serious apps that might not be in top 10 or so....at least for now apple needs these app discovery apps

11. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The App Store should allow video previews of the apps.

12. macrumors 6502a

How much are they paying MR to post to this on the front page?

13. macrumors newbie

Maybe the indexes are taking some time to update, but a direct search of the app name "appshopper social" does not return any results in the ios 6.1 app store app. I had to type in the direct link URL in safari on the iphone to get the app.

14. macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

good apps don't pull this

15. macrumors 603

I'm curious as to why Appshopper was taken down in the first place, and how this version gets around that.

Download it while you can?

Nothing, MR owns them...

16. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Nothing, they are both owned by arn.

17. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

I don't understand why Apple removed an app that leads directly to app sales.

It's like you own a business and there's a guy outside telling everyone about your specials and pointing folks to your restaurant. For free... and telling him to leave.

WTF? Anyway, good to see the app is back.

18. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

There are so many app discovery apps that someone needs to come up with an app to discover the best app discovery app.

19. macrumors 6502a

This really is front page news, though. Seriously.

20. macrumors 65816

so lets get more feeds going so it works just as good as the OG appshopper. so far OG appshopper shows more then appshopper social and ive added macrumors, appshopper, 148apps and toucharcade

21. DesertEagle, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Nothing as always. ;) Or what do you think would be a reasonable price?

22. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Must be nice to own the biggest apple news website when you're also publishing apps for apple's platforms.

I've already figured out the media controls the world... What I can't figure out is how to get in it myself.

23. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

a few indexing issues. "appshopper" the user should ultimately be identical to original appshopper "popular". Hopefully be reflected in a few minutes.

arn

24. macrumors 65816

good to hear, ill check back later on.

25. macrumors 601

Icaras

Great news. Welcome back AppShopper. Finally, iPhone 5 support too :)

I've been hanging on to my old copy of AppShopper ever since. Seeing as how this looks like a proper replacement, I guess it's safe now to finally retire and delete the old app on my iPhone then?