appstore vlc vs cydia vlc

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by anthdci, Apr 14, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I downloaded VLC whilst it was available on the appstore, so still have it and I use it most days since it is brilliant. But I know a version of VLC has also been released in cydia. Are both of these exactly the same, or does one have some advantages over the other?

2. macrumors newbie

i have the app store one which i have been using for some time now. i just downloaded the cydia one and they seem pretty much the same. the only difference i can find is that app store vlc you load content through itunes, and cydia vlc you can ssh.

3. macrumors member

Skengman

Being able to SSH content is good, but the Cydia version is a little buggy on occasion.
    I read about another (jailbroken only) media player recently which I meant to download.
    Apparently it is as good if not better than VLC so I figured it was worth a try, but now I can't remember the name of it...

4. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

you can SSH into the app store app too

(i usually open airshare, upload via browser, ifile it across) :)

5. macrumors newbie

hmm. I didn't know of this option. but aye it makes sense. I kept both if them will have to try it out.

@previous poster. try and find out the name of the app I'd like to try it out.

6. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

FYI you could SSH into any app/directory if the device is jailbroken - doesn't have to be dependent on app store or cydia

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I think I will stick with the appstore version since it is very easy to add files through iTunes, much less of a hassle than using an SSH client.