AppZapper - New Mac Application!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Jan 4, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Nice. Not all that important as a must have, but it certainly does make things easier. Great find!

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Your review isn't very detailed. Still I'm willing to give it a go.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

maybe ill have to give this a go when i clean out my applications folder. worth a try at least.

4. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

This is something that I've always thought would make a nice little utility app. I wonder if you can use AppZapper to uninstall itself? :cool:

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Solving a problem I have, if I had Tiger :eek:
    Looks Nifty though, will try and find something similar which is older :cool:

::20ROGERSC::

6. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

*Randomly prods keyboard while looking out of the window*

Computer says "no" ;)

I wonder if there are other apps which will scan your computer for orphan junk left over from previous uninstallations. I know you can search for the file name using Spotlight, but there's a 000000.1% chance that a file with an inappropriate name was left behind and that can upset neatness freaks... certainly not me though, I'm not one of those.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I think the developers are awesome for giving out registrations to people who can't pay for various reasons.

8. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

this is a great little app. i was dragging the application to the trash then using spotlight to find the preferences etc. now this little app finds them all and all you do is drag the app from finder to the appzappers window and it shows all the places it is hiding then you zap it and it sounds like a ray gun goes off and all remnants are gone from your computer. sweet and easy, pay these guys.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This will save all those people concerned about those applications which aren't self-contained and there are quite a few.

I think it's a great accomplishment but I'm surprised that Spring Cleaning didn't already do this.

10. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

They are?

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When I uninstall, I just do a quick spotlight, that usually finds everything...I think (there isn't really any way of knowing). I suspect that is all this program does.

12. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Deleting apps is not something that I do on a daily basis, or even a weekly basis, so I'd prefer to use spotlight to find all the files, which usually aren't many, and delete them myself. It gives me the satisfying illusion that I'm geeky and powerful and it impresses the laydeez

13. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

well thai is true, i dont know of any babes that wouldnt be impressed by someone who knows there way around in spotlight....

14. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i dont get it.. you can download it for free or buy it? :confused: :confused:

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think the free version will stop working after several uses.

16. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, same here. I use Spotlight. I had AppZapper for a couple of days, but decided to just delete it, since I can do the same thing with Spotlight.

17. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

What about uninstalling a beast of an app like MS Office with Spotlight though? That spews hundreds of files all over the place. I can't recall if they all contain 'office' in their file names.

18. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, in that case, I'd say AppZapper would definitely come in handy.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wonder how reliably it uninstalls apps like Office though. I personally prefer to do these things manually, especially if it uses Spotlight to find rogue files. Think of all the hits for Word the average user has. FWIW, I highly doubt it does use Spotlight, but I could be wrong. :)

20. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm happy just dragging things to the trash. But it's good to know that there's an app out there to do this.