April 2 Apple Event?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by arn, Mar 28, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hmm...

I've gotten a couple of submissions regarding April 2 apple announcement... but I think they may have been all spawned from this thread at spymac.

I have no other info, but thought you guys might want a heads up in case something does happen...

for the record - I do not believe the G5 will be announced anytime soon.

arn

2. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Indeed the earliest possible release for the G5, IMHO, would be MWNY in the summer. But I am still not sure we'll see it there. They could rearchitecture some of the system but stay w/ G4's for the next release, still providing some tangible increase in performance / technology.

blakespot

3. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'd say more likely Jan 2003.

arn

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

April would be a good time to roll out a new, updated TiPB. If that does happen, it seems more likely the G5 will be out in July.

There has been a lot of talk about trying to sell off the current batch of TiPBs, so who knows.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If Apple has the G5 close enough to being ready to start planning a release, they will probably start scheduling G4 annoucements of all sorts (TiBook, G4 towers, G4 imacs, maybe even G4 ibooks) for times other than just the macworlds. That way thay could, say, announce a faster TiBook this Spring (get a sales bump), then a faster G4 tower (sales bump!), maybe after that, a faster imac and/or g4 based ibook (more sales). All these announcements leading up to the scheduled G5 release. (Obviously, the sales bumps wouldn't occur if they announced the new G5 first.)

I'm personally looking for any increase in releases of G4 related products as a sign that Apple may feel confident that the G5 will be ready for a release at some unspecified date. Hopefully.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

if the g5 is anywhere near as revolutionary and powerful as people are making it out to be, then there is no way it will come out at MWNY as a PowerMac. The Dualie GHZ just came out and I really dont think theyd want to piss off their customers like that. A speed bumped g4...fine. The g5 would have to come out as a completely new, very expensive line that will eventually trickle down into the PowerMac line. Jus my opinion.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

April 2nd...

Could be the release of OS X 10.2... since OS X is now a year old, and 10.1.x has been out for some time now. Not a major announcement, but it could happen.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: April 2nd...

I like that idea. Apple was very quiet about the anniversary of X, probably because thay wanted to highlight the hardware at Tokyo. I've been waiting to hear about 10.2 for a while...hope so...

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: April 2nd...

good thought... but Apple did say that in April there would be a Beta release to support Bluetooth... if 10.2 was coming, I don't think the beta release would be required.

arn

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, that was just my thought on it. Mainly since I can't remember any large announcements coming only a few weeks after an expo. Maybe 10.2 is needed for the bluetooth beta to function properly... we won't really know until the 2nd what they are annoucing, if anything.

How about different PowerBook enclosure options??? I would love black and chrome :D... that way it would match both my new truck and Harley :D I would even be willing to wait a month or more for them to ship it to me. That would turn some more heads at the local cafe... Next I need to make up a Harley logo to mount under the Apple on my TiBook screen :D.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Why? True, the dual gig came out in Feb. but we're talking July here, that's five months, plenty of time for an upgrade. So were the B/W G3 owners pissed when the G4 came out? Maybe, but that's just how the old song goes... I don't think Apple should be worrying about stepping on current PowerMac users' toes by coming out with a bigger, better machine (in this case, a G5). That's how they get their business. Especially from people like me who have been waiting for close to three years now for their "bigger and better", money in hand.

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: April 2nd...

I heard it was going to be late April, so I dont think this "announcement" will be anything. Apple really never updates there hardwear unless it is a MW or Conference, as far as I know. But then again, those PowerMac 1GHz wew unexpected...

14. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Agreed.

blakespot

15. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I, still, would be satisfied with GeForce drivers that allow FSAA to be turned on. I've got the hardware---just no full driverset!

blakespot

16. germanknee macrumors member

mwny02 - faster g4 w/ faster bus and ddr
    mwsf03 - same as above but faster clock for cpu; possible g5 release but probably not
    mwny03 - g5 rapidIO faster ddr

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

given your worst case scenario - g5s in july of 03, do you think the g4 and Apple could afford to let it happen? In over a year from now the PC world would have a good lead on the Mac even with 2 more speed bumps. I don't think Apple can let it go that long, even if they have to pull some sort of magic out of their rears.

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i reckon there will be a TiBook update in April sometime, definitely before NY. From then on we'll be seeing a steady release of new products. Apple probably has alot they are keeping under wraps.

19. msykes macrumors newbie

Well we all hope they have a lot they are keeping under wraps anyways... obviously Apple must be just as concerned about MHz gaps, G5's and everything else as the rest of us.

I was thinking new Ti at WWDC, just like the Lombard was introduced there in 1999, but now this whole April 2 rumor has me salivating! It's amazing how easy it is to play with the minds of us rumor-mongers...

msykes

20. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Watch me pull some magic outa my rear. again?

I feel deep dpwn inside next to the apple of my eye. That there is going to be a year of outright glorious movement to the dominattion of the apple platform. It will start with the the release of the speed bumps to the powerbooks which will happen beofre NewYork. just like the 667 and the combodrive, happened. This will being the salivation!

Then at New York, the dawn of the new DDR ram motherboards with the speed bumps will bring the PowerMacs into the same hardware realm as pcees. Making it a viable option to all those frustrated PC users of there.

How do I know that they are frustrated?
    Simple, I use Pcees alot because of my work.
    This is an example of work session and how it sets the mood of an work day gone bad.
    Boot Pcee, see windows logo, < bad enough, you would think>
    Exe photoshop, go into shop to open file , it crashes and just closed shop!
    Try again, exe shop , open file, approach file boom system frozen.
    Reboot~ yawn
    cross fingers that the 2700 system you bought isnt totally useless.
    The gods smile and you get your work finished. Whew~

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm wondering if they chose the April 2nd to avoid April Fools Day? Since this all came out of a rumor on another board, it might just be a way to make it more real, yet it actually might still be too close to MW Tokyo for a new update. I guess we'll know Tuesday.

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Maybe just DVD Studio Pro for X

Since we've seen screenshots of it, it can't be too far away...
    As Ballmer wrote to Gates: what think?

23. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

What are the chances of seeing a 10.2 beta released on the 2nd? It's not really Apple's style, but if Bluetooth requires 10.2 to work (I'm not sure about that, though) might the Buletooth beta come with a 10.2 beta?

No, probably not. It started off as a good idea and just got worse as I wrote it down. :(

24. colocolo macrumors 6502

Quicktime 6

Probably, Quicktime 6 will be announced. A chilean newspaper ad promoting Macworld Chile, which takes place April 4-5, announces a demo of it.

25. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Quicktime 6

Ooh, really? Does it actually say that it will be released, or does it say that Apple will demo it at the event?

I don't think QT6 will be ready to release on the 2nd.