april fools day

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Mar 29, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

so april fools day is coming upon us i was wondering what software causes windows computers to force shutdown?

P.S this is just for fun ;) :D

2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    why that's a feature built into Windows! just sit there and stare at the screen and it's bound to happen! :D

3. MatMistake macrumors member

I have a program that will to that.
    I can't go to sleep without listening to music, and since my CD player died I've been listening to all my music off iTunes, and have my PC to turn itself off after an hour or so when I'm asleep....

you can download it here, the link to get it is at the bottom of the page
    it won't turn the computer off imidately when you run it, but you can set it to turn off after a set time limit. also you can set a warning message, and make the program un-quitable :D

4. slowtreme macrumors 6502

You could just put:

shutdown -s

into a batch file, create a shortcut to the batch file, and fire it off to hutdown your computer. Alternatively you may want to take a more hardcore approach and use:

shutdown -s -f

so it will "impolitely" kill all running apps.

Change the shortcut icon (and name) to the my computer icon or something they click often.

This is probably a hell of a lot easier to do on a Mac, but I'm not familiar.

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

while this is a very good idea, I can add 1 better - make this into an executable script in some form or fashion, and place it in the startup folder in windows, so that as soon as the machine boots, it automatically runs the script, and shuts the machine back down. ;)

6. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Sure you could put the shutdown batch in the startup, but this way they just get started to do something and WHOOPS This way it's thier interaction that kills the box, they don't just immediatly blame the hardware.

7. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm i was thinking of a remote shutdown ;)

but anyone have anything they plan on doing

i have some extra epoxy from my last project ;)

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have a program called Nuker, that will force PCs on the local network to shutdown. I haven't tried it for machines not on the network. You can find it on UnderGroundMac.com

9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

time for me to try and get my cd opening script into the school computers :p
    at least one of them would be funny. do it on one in a classroom. freak out the teacher. :p

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

That would be so funny, maybe have a CD in each one that has some kind of joke on it.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have a question:
    How do you find the internal IP's of windows computers?
    I don't have access to the control panel where it would normally be found in... I can't remember how I can get an internal IP without it...
    :mad:

12. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

ip addresses are in a range from .1-.255

nuker doesn't seem to work tried several different computers

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ip config from DOS prompt, I think.

I would love to have a CD opening script, that would be SOOOOOOO much fun.

scem0

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Another good prank

Its been done 1,000 time, but sitll hilarious to watch. If they are using Windows XP, Take a screen shot (print screen button I think) and then set it as their background image. Then turn turn on the feature that removes ( or Hides) all your desktop icons. They will be clicking those fake icons for hours. Oh the hours of fun.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and if that screenshot includes the start menu, then you can drag the start menu down to where it is hidden, and they can't click on the start menu too.

scem0

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha a true classic
    i've done this a few times..but most fun it was back when i was in the conscript service ... the corporal didn't solve "the mistery of disfunctional icons" of course..when he was going for the seargent to ask him what to do ..we exchanged the wallpapers again :rolleyes: oh i never forget the moment on the corporal's face when the seargent clicked all icons and said:"so and what doesn't work again ?"

17. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

you don't need anything for windows to do that, just don't restart it for its recommended time of restarting of 2 hours. :p :cool:

anyway the aforementioned screenshot becomes desktop is classic and you should do that as well.

18. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

great idea! i should do this to my brother :p i know just how to do this also :)

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On the radio this morning, one of the news items was about global warming. The polar ice caps are melting, therefore making the water colder. Apparently if every person on the beach puts 5 litres of boiling water into the sea, it will offset this. I wonder how many people have fallen for it :D

20. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

stuff that we have done so far

this is the list that has happened in my dorm so far

one of the floor RAs door was nailed with ketchup hot sauce ice cream malt vinegar and the best part is they took a garbage bag inflated it put flour in it and popped in his room all of the flour flew into the room haven't seen it since i haven't gone back

the hallway smells like poo

next is weak but okay

we hung a flag over our front door on the roof it says "PSU RAWKS" lame but oh well

next we saw this cop car just standing there so we decided to tag it and we tagged it with april fools nothing big

we took a piece of rope and closed all the rooms out hahah old right but hey works

tagged all the cars in the parking lot except for mine i am like dude mark mine so they don't think it was me that idiot

thats all that i know of right now

but i plan on taping this guys room shut overnight they deserve it anyway lying SOBs :mad:

all pics will come later right now i need to sleep french test in less then 8 hours and i haven't studied :(

21. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

did you stop using punctuation as an april fools thing as well, or is this a regular thing? Man... that was hard to read. ;)

22. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816