Aqua question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by discreet hero, Dec 7, 2004.

1. discreet hero macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2004
    First of all, let me just say that, unfortunatelly, I have no experience of whatsoever using Mac OSX, so I guess that fact may explain my next question (in case it's something every Mac user already knows :) ).
    I was told that Aqua is nothing more than a window manager, or better said desktop environment, running on top of X server - just like kde/gnome in linux/*bsd world. Now, looking at the Mac OSX architecture overview, I can't help thinking that it's not really the case. X11 for Mac seems to be a standard part of the OSX from the version 10.3, so Aqua (in previous versions of OSX) can't be running on top of it?! Furthermore, X11 is always described as a part of OSX that's sole purpose is to provide the means to run classic unix X apps.

So, my question is: "Is Aqua really a WM/DE running on top of some kind of X server? Or not?"
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Aqua actually runs on top of Quartz, which isn't an X server at all. The entire X11 environment in Mac OS X 10.3 actually sits on top of Aqua, in the application layer. See this page and this page for more information.
  3. discreet hero thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2004