Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Did it occur to anyone that maybe these UI changes are not coming until OS 11?

No one said these changes would be monumental. The claims of Apple switching to a "black" or even "darker" UI are unwarranted. One might deduce that from a name like "Illuminous" that were would be a shift towards light, or glowing.

Plus, you never know. Just as system 7.5 was a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from system 7, 10.5 might also be a major turning point in the life of OS X. However, just like 7.5, there might not be a complete rebuild of the OS until "OS 11." The point is, we don't really know how Apple is regarding Leopard. Is it just another OS X? Is it monumental enough to make changes to the UI?

My guess is that there is added heat due to a coinciding Windows release (and one that is so intently bent on "catching up to OS X"), Apple will do everything they can to put the current OS X behind them.

And when you think about OS X, it has truly been a work in progress. From the barely usable puma to a finally working Jaguar to a mature Panther and a refined Tiger, Apple should finally be at a point where they're ready to take everything they've learned and release a truly polished and exquisite OS.

-Clive

pepp5

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
What I really want is the secretary who can "find Bob and get him on the phone for me" and knows which "Bob" I mean and who might know where he is. and then I say "I need to go to Huston again Tuesday for an afternoon meeting" and the computer knows how to take it from there.... Maybe we will have this in 50 years.

Can you say .... Newton? I knew that you could. It's been done, since early 90s. It was the Newton Assistance feature, see second paragraph here: http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/gallery/mp100.htm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Leopard

I've heard from various sources that the big secret is not just Leopard's incorporation of the soon to be released iPhone and iTV but that Apple plans on ditching the 10.X all together for Mac OS 11 along with a new scheme (i.e. no longer panther/tiger, etc.). As Apple wants to fully capitalize on the release of the Intel processors, they want the next OS to be a completely fresh start. The finder has been rewritten to incorporate many various improvements. There is also talk Apple may incorporate torrents into the system. The initial release of videos in iTunes wasn't primarily to watch movies on a small iPod or even the rumored widescreen 6th generation iPod, but to test market the overall response and sales of movies in iTunes. Assuming they sold above and beyond expectations, Apple plans on releasing widescreen and possible hi-def movies through the assistance of torrents to facilitate download speeds as 1-3 gb and even 30-40 gb movies would take forever as it currently stands. As per the UI alterations, I don't know from any sources if that is valid, although I wouldn't be surprised. Apple will most definitely want to release this as the next big OS, and changes in graphical interface are always on that check list. Just some food for thought. Discuss lol ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've heard from various sources that the big secret is not just Leopard's incorporation of the soon to be released iPhone and iTV but that Apple plans on ditching the 10.X all together for Mac OS 11 along with a new scheme (i.e. no longer panther/tiger, etc.). As Apple wants to fully capitalize on the release of the Intel processors, they want the next OS to be a completely fresh start. I also have know that the finder has been totally rewritten to incorporate many various improvements. Also, there is talk Apple may incorporate torrents into the system. The release of videos in iTunes wasn't primarily to watch movies on a small iPod or even the rumored widescreen 6th generation iPod, but to test market the overall sales and response of movies in iTunes in general. Assuming they sold above and beyond specs, Apple plans on releasing widescreen and possible hi-def movies through the assistance of torrents to facilitate download speeds as 1-3 gb and even 30-40 gb movies would take forever as it currently stands. As per the UI alterations, I don't know from any sources if that is valid, although I wouldn't be surprised. Apple will most definitely want to release this as the next big OS, and changes in graphical interface are always on that check list. Just some food for thought. Discuss lol ;)

Yeah, except they're still supporting PPC processors in this release.

I think OS 11 will be the first Intel-only operating system from Apple and it's a fair way off yet. X (remember it's "ten" not "ex") is just a number but that number has certain connotations and one of them is it's ability to run on PPC processors. I reckon in about 6 or 7 years (three 10.x releases) we'll see Apple take the next monumental leap forward in it's OS - the last couple of the 10.x releases probably won't support the G4 (remember, the G4 isn't that old - you could still buy brand new G4-based computers just a few months ago and the G5 wasn't completely replaced until August so both processors should rightly have some legs left in them support-wise, at least another three years based on AppleCare commitments) and will be G5-only but they will still be Universal.

OS 11 will be the first of the Intel-only Apple OS range, what they call it is another matter altogether.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Most of Apple's pro apps use a darker UI, which I find more pleasing and less strenuous on the eye.

I sort of like that look as well. It is well known in graphic/web design though, that white text on a dark background stands out more with higher contrast but is actually quite harsh on the eye and hard to read for extended lenths of time.

So it is kind of a tradeoff, hopefully Apple will be able to strike a good balance.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Yeah, except they're still supporting PPC processors in this release.

I think OS 11 will be the first Intel-only operating system from Apple and it's a fair way off yet. X (remember it's "ten" not "ex") is just a number but that number has certain connotations and one of them is it's ability to run on PPC processors. I reckon in about 6 or 7 years (three 10.x releases) we'll see Apple take the next monumental leap forward in it's OS - the last couple of the 10.x releases probably won't support the G4 (remember, the G4 isn't that old - you could still buy brand new G4-based computers just a few months ago and the G5 wasn't completely replaced until August so both processors should rightly have some legs left in them support-wise, at least another three years based on AppleCare commitments) and will be G5-only but they will still be Universal.

OS 11 will be the first of the Intel-only Apple OS range, what they call it is another matter altogether.

Keep in mind, Apple had a department compiling an Intel OS version for years under wraps. There's no reason why that same department wouldn't be working on the next OS as well. Apple wouldn't be releasing an Intel only OS until years from now. Think of how many graphic designers, professionals, etc. who use Power PC's systems to date, many of them still haven't made the switch to Intel processors as many design software companies such as Adobe will not be releasing Universal Binary versions till mid to late 2007. If Apple wants to keep their Power PC customers happy, including the ones that dropped big $$$ for Power Mac G5's right before the Intel systems were released, they will not be releasing Intel only version for at least 2-3 years. I am 99.9% certain this next OS will be OS 11, with both Power PC and Intel versions. Apple has placed much of its manpower in the new OS alongside the minor tweaks in the past few years to Tiger. Time will tell though. Let's place some bets, might be fun LOL ;)...

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
OSX has always been processor independent, I don't see why it would start to be with 10.5. There's still plenty of room for improvement on OSX, plus back in the beginning Steve said this was their base for the next 20 years.

I doubt Apple originally wanted to ditch Aqua after 10.4, however, they might due to Windows ripping it off so blatantly. Apple doesn't want to look like Windows, and can't keep bitching forever about how Redmond has started their photocopiers. I wouldn't be surprised if over the next couple releases Apple really tones down Aqua and brings in something else. It might not be this rumor of Illumnious, but its definitely plausible. Vista will look like yesterdays news, OSX will be setting the bar with UI, and all will be right with the universe. Then with whatever comes after Vista, MS can start ripping off the next thing.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
Can you say .... Newton? I knew that you could. It's been done, since early 90s. It was the Newton Assistance feature, see second paragraph here: http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/gallery/mp100.htm
Assist works INCREDIBLY well too. I love it. Just tell the Newton to "remember tomorrow", and it'll set up a To-Do for tomorrow. Tell it to "Schedule friday" and it'll add a meeting to friday. Tell it to "Call -insert name here-" and it'll search for the name specified in the Names database and ask you which one to call. Tell it to "Find Me" and it'll bring up the Find program, put "me" into it, then display your info.
Apple could easily implement the Assist functionality into Mac OS X. I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a 3rd-party program that does this, actually.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
There is also talk Apple may incorporate torrents into the system. The initial release of videos in iTunes wasn't primarily to watch movies on a small iPod or even the rumored widescreen 6th generation iPod, but to test market the overall response and sales of movies in iTunes. Assuming they sold above and beyond expectations, Apple plans on releasing widescreen and possible hi-def movies through the assistance of torrents to facilitate download speeds as 1-3 gb and even 30-40 gb movies would take forever as it currently stands.

Hmm...very interesting. I hadn't thought of torrents as a solution to that problem!!! Not a bad idea though.

Spagolli94

macrumors member
May 22, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
I just hope that iTunes 7 is not a preview of what to expect in this rumored UI, as I think it is extremely ugly, and very "un" apple in terms of UI aestetics. Well I guess I will have to hold my breath and see what happens...

I agree. iTunes 7 looks like a gloomy/rainy day compared to most aqua apps.

rhpixelfreak

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
I'm excited about this news but a little scared also.
I think mac os' GUI was at its best in panther and it has gone all over the place with a lot of wrong choices (mostly iTunes)

Coincidentally, I went into the macheist site (advertised here in macrumors) and saw details about the Disco CD burning app.
"everything encompassed in a stylish, custom window that might offer an early peek at where Apple may take OS X's UI"

The app looks great http://discoapp.com/
if they make mac os look like this I'll be relieved and happy (so long as it's unified, maybe nothing is more important than this)

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
There are a few things I'd like to see done in Aqua:

1) Get rid of pinstriping (like what they did in Tiger) and replace it with what they've done in Tiger.
2) Get rid of brushed metal (like what I've seen in the Leopard demos). iChat looks a lot better this way!
3) I'd like it if these shiny inserts where pinstriping and brushed metal once were to be darker like what I've seen in UNO. (Great download, btw)
4) The ability to customise the aqua colors instead of Aqua Blue and Graphite for scrollers, buttons, etc. I think it'd be cool if we could change it to purple, green, etc.

If it shifts to "glossy black" like some of the new iPhoto, I won't be happy. I don't think black looks good. Black text on dark looks better than white text on black.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
71602.this+thread+is+completely+useless%20without+images!!!.jpg

hahaha that's too funny!

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Hmm. That shapeshifter theme has an elegant 'no-nonsense' look about it. If Apple strives for simplicity and elegance, such a UI scheme would not be a bad idea, at least as a built-in option.

Kid Cobalt

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006
Sascha Hohne

Everyone should chill out. Sascha Hohne is now working for apple.

http://www.rad-e8.com

We all know the guy makes stella icons and it seems apple knows this to.
He was working on an Illuminated set of Minium icons for ages but they never saw the light (pardon the pun) of day.

Everythings gonna be alllllllll right.

barnaby

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
I don't buy an ounce of this rumor. Sure, Apple is going to be adding some cool new features to Leopard's Aqua implementation, but I just don't see them scrapping the whole thing for a dot release of the OS. My guess, some moron saw Vista running fullscreen on someone's MacBook and thought it was the Mac OS.

Doesn't make sense to replace the UI in a dot release of the OS. Come on folks, something that major will be for Mac OS XI (11, or whatever it ends up as). Of course, there was speculation that Leopard may become OS XI, but the jury was still out the last I knew.

Or, I may be wrong and Apple will change their UI the same time that Microsoft does, but that seems a bit odd.

Apple is trying to take the role of the innovator, not the copier. Overhauling the UI just because Microsoft did seems a little insecure. Other hardware manufacturers change their hardware appearance with each generation. Apple is much slower in this regard. Why? because it's recognizable.

Let's not forget that while aqua runs fine on a sub-ghz G4, aero has rather heavy resource requirements. Eye candy is fine, but not at the cost of functionality.

I think we'll see a few cleanups. Hopefully we'll see much less brushed aluminum. I think we'll see a new finder. I think we'll see core animation in a few spots (as if that isn't change enough for the UI). And I think we'll see a LOT of changes to make it easier to implement UIs (new Interface Builder).

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I don't mind the aluminum as long as they choose good hues. I'm not very happy with what they did with iTunes 7, but I'd be happy if they went in the direction of UNO.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Apple is probably paying a great deal of attention to Vista and Aero.

They're looking at it and going "well, now we know what not to do." :D

Apple has certaintly been working on Aqua for the last few years, look at the differences in the iLife apps, Final Cut, and Aperture. There's some tinkering going on that has nothing to do with Aero or Longwait.

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
from their site:

“Apple continues to gloss over the interface, refining it even more and there is an overly presence of black gloss.”

An overly presence?? Thats not even english.

I could maybe see a black theme for the menubar and menus, with all the aluminium stuff left as-is. Like another theme, like the rest of the black/white thing apple has going on. I dont think it'll be a radical redesign though.

like this....
319761056_9b037fcb52_b.jpg

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You are right. Got first mouse in the early 80's and they weren't new then. If you can think of the next big UI idea, the one that will replace windows and a mouse you will be rich.

Toch screens are slow if they are large, to much arm motion. Voice is slow too.

I think you could do great things if the display were a pair of 3D goggles and a camera that would read hand/finger movements.

What I really want is the secretary who can "find Bob and get him on the phone for me" and knows which "Bob" I mean and who might know where he is. and then I say "I need to go to Huston again Tuesday for an afternoon meeting" and the computer knows how to take it from there.... Maybe we will have this in 50 years.

But then when they made the film "2001", in the 60's they thought we'd have "Hal" by 2001. Now I'm saying "50 years". Maybe.

I venture that even for the physically disabled (unless those born or have become 75% or more blind) that human Iris & eye focus direction detection is the new interface for any new age UI. Think of the apache helicopter Eye reticle, now emagine without that that an imbedded screen camera like iSight can detect you focusing on an object/element > and even blinking twice or 1 eye blinking is selecting or right clicking for contextual menu respectively or how about a quick & slight circular focused sight of that object with the eye. Your eye doesnt move to circle your vision around this letter "I" does it? Unless you've got it on 50 type on a 30" Apple LCD Cinema.

Its very fast if implemented correctly and the ability to focus on background images through an opaque foreground object (I think opaque is the word I'm looking for = see through), can be done. Your iris does the focus.

BONUS Mac OS II A New Resurgence will be able to let you know when a new prescription or new visit to the optometrist is needed ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.