Arab profiling? You make the call (heh heh).

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Time-Warner (or is that Adelphia?) linkHmm. Okay, even if you allow that last sentence -- different names, different stories? Buying TracPhones in bulk? For a gas station? Riiiiight.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call this profiling. Sounds sufficiently suspicious to me. They may not be able to prove anything, but I'm sure the FBI is going to be keeping these guys under close surveillance.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How are TracPhones used to finance terrorism?

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They're used to place calls that are difficult or impossible to trace.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah that would be facilitating terrorism.

Selling them I could understand but why wouldn't they just set up a business and buy them wholesale? They'd make a lot more money wouldn't they? I'm sure terrorists were smarter in my day.

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why doesn't it answer the question? Would a smart terrorist solicit donations or transfer money via his house phone or the internet?

What about the rest of their story? Very little of it adds up.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The TracPhones aren't about making money. It's to provide a disposable communications network that is extremely hard, if not impossible to trace. Give every member of your cell 10 TracPhones to throw out whenever they run out of minutes, or to keep the cell segmented since you can give different phone numbers to different contacts.

Setting up a business could also bring unwanted scrutiny. I imagine that most businesses that deal with pre-paid cell phones (or cell phones in general) are already watched a little more closely with a close eye on accounting for the whereabouts of the phones. If 1000 phones suddenly "disappeared" from your business it would be mighty suspicious.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, why didn't they wait a bit before they had more info and actual proof of an actual crime before arresting them? :confused: This seems to be a running theme lately. Now they have nothing and if these men are dangerous, they'll be more careful now. :rolleyes: