Arafat in Critical Condition, says a close aide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mechcozmo, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Linkety to news article

Arafat... can't say that I'm too upset about this. This could get interesting with the pullout from Gaza/West Bank confirmed.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If true this could be a real significant event. He seems to be one of the road blocks to a real true and meaningful Middle East peace.

I will admit that I was sad to hear the news. He is still a human being. I pray that he will receive proper treatment. May the doctors have wisdom. It is not up to us as to the outcome of this illness. :(
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its unfortunate that hes ill. but he was never a good leader, he was never able to control the insurgents, like hamas
  4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Lets take bets on how soon this thread gets moved to the Political Forum :)
  5. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004

I promise I won't freak out and attack anyone if they promise they will keep this on Arafat, his sickness, and how this will reeeaaaallly mess up the PLO.

$20 and another 5 posts, BTW. ;)
  6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Just curious....

I'm curious about what will happen to all those billions of dollars that Arafat stole and has stashed away in his Swiss back accounts. Will his family get it? Or will the PLO demand that it be returned to its rightful owners?

Stay tuned for next weeks episode....
  7. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    North and east of Mickeyland
    Like others have expressed, I wish him well as a fellow human being, but I do believe he has been an obstacle to meaningful progress for far too long. Maybe his health will force him to at least step down and really hand the reigns over to someone else. True, whoever steps in will have a hard time controlling those bent on violence as the answer to their problems but at this point, I see any change as a positive thing.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Personally, I don't care. While he's not a great guy, I don't understand why we have to care if he dies or not. So many people fall ill. The only reason we should care for him in particular is strictly political (ie: what will happen if he's gone?), so yup, I think this thread automatically got political once you guys realized that his good/poor health is tied to peace in that area of the world.

Don't get me wrong. I hope he lives and does okay for himself, but if he died, I wouldn't feel good or bad about it.
  9. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Hope he'll get better.
    He is a real humanbeing, who has fought for his people.
    (If he has done the right or wrong way isn't up to me to decide, but there are always two sides of a story..)
    He was given the Nobels Peaceprize with Izak Rabin.
    Unfortunately Rabin was killed shortly after, it wan't only Rabin that was killed,
    but the entire hope about peace.
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The picture of him doesn't show him as ill as I expected. The difference is that he is thinner and not his usual military dress. Arafat still has his beaming smile. A positive attitude goes a long way while undergoing treatment.
  11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    The main point, IMO, is political, is nearly similar to what will happen when Fidel Castro dies... just a political point of view, living and passing away is a *natural* way in our world, but what matters is WHY and the goals achieved during the given time.

Sad, it's when someone is taking a real human mission and gets killed in the middle of the work. Of course, the *real human mission* is a relative point of view...