Arafat is dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Nov 10, 2004.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Personnaly I think he was not a good man. Killed many, took a lot of money, never built a school (so I hear).

I am hopeful a moderate will emerge and peace will come.

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this has potential disaster written all over it... Regardless of anyone's opinions, I think we can all agree that an already unstable situation just got a little more volatile... I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst- I hate to say...

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. Glad that he is dead, only because the people under him are far more likely to want peace than he did. I really hope that peace comes out of this...

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that those people have never had anyone else lead besides Arafat so it will be interesting to see how they react to a new leader.

5. Edot macrumors 6502

This conflict has been going on for hundreds of years. I don't know why this would change anything. Not that I don't want it too, but looking at history makes it easy to predict the outcome.

6. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I personally don't know how *good* or *bad* man he was, you know, some news reporters have more tolerance than others... I just hope that it doesn't give a bad outcome to the conflict with israel. as posted above, I don't see a reason why this should change the situation dramatically, but you never know and the hope for the peace in this region is high.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

as a side note, i found it strange that he never blank his eye when he was interviewed - it was so spooky, the man could talk for minutes and not blink even once.

8. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

erm... didn't he win the Nobel Peace Prize?

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I was surprised he didn't have a bomb when he died. :rolleyes:

As far as the conflict, if one side was bending over backwards to have peace the other side was still causing problems then I am sure the rest of the world would pick the side that is doing the right thing and help out. This issue of peace would be complete. I feel the pain for both sides of the conflict.

As far as Arafat being dead, I am glad he didn't die from an attack but of natural causes.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There was a lot of controversy surrounding that Nobel Peace Prize.

Link here

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

12. arf macrumors member

arf

No, what he wanted was what is rightfully that of the Palestinian people; land with borders that were set out by the UN and Israel seems to feel that it can violate whilst the world looks on.

Here is some good reading for all you people who belive that Israel has the moral high ground in this very sorry affair.

13. sgarringer macrumors regular

It is only because of the bias of the American media and the United States government that Isreal is portrayed as being the "good guys". It should be noted that the Palestinians were promised their own country at the end of WW II, only to have the land they resided on totally given to Isreal. Palistine is the ones that are simply trying to get their land back, and they dont have the backing of the world to do so. So of course they need to use rebel methods.

14. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Uhh, Arafat isn't a good candidate for debating if someone is *good* or *bad.* Read the link below for an account of the murder he ordered of the 1972 Israeli Olympic Team. Not to mention the thousands of civilians he's killed, and his evangelism for terror that has been so inspirational to Osama, et al. That comes down as *bad*, even if you are a moral relativist.

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_munich.php

15. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

The American media make Arafat looks like the bad guy, while making Israel look like the good guy. Both sides has been wrong, and Sharon *sp* has done his fair share of killing also, he still is. All I wonder is why the US is turning the blind eye to the nukes that Israel has.

16. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's Americas fault Arafat chose terrorism- riiiiiiight... lol... The world is better without Arafat... Hopefully, the Palestinians will be the ones to benefit from this, but it's pretty clear he hasn't lead them well in life, & news is surfacing he hasn't set them up well for life after him either... Great leader...Oh well, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter I suppose... To each his own, back to talking about the good things, like everything Apple...:)

17. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Non-Blinkers

Neither does Steve Forbes. I guess the world of politics really opened their eyes.

18. arf macrumors member

arf

Thanks for making my point for me. 'One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'. This is true, as is the fact that you believe Arafat to be a terrorist, which is due to the biased view that American people and their administration have of the situation.

As for the number of civillians killed my Arafat, this pales into comparison to the numbers killed by Israeli forces using weapons paid for by AMERICAN money. Hang your head in shame America

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

That's what I meant, I have no Fu***ng idea / probe of what he did or what he didn't, some people -media- have been tolerant about the situation there, I just wanted to say : I don't care if he is dead or not.

20. lalcan macrumors regular

Requiescat in pace

Without insider information (which we all don't have) we won't be able to know if he was a terrorist or a hero (though i am more willing to believe him to be a nice person fighting the right fight).

But, as for the Nobel prize, didn't they gave the Peace Nobel prize to that very well known world terrorist, innocent killer, modern Machiavelli, Henry Kissinger? lost any credibility since then, if you ask me.

Take a look at this:

http://www.peacelink.it/tematiche/latina/nobel/index.php3

21. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

And they were given a country. What we call the West Bank and Gaza were set aside for the Palastinians. These areas were immediately occupied by Jordan and Egypt, respectively, when they invaded Israel at its inception. After this, they were simply incorporated into these countries. It was 20 years later before those territories were conquered by Israel.

I keep wanting to beleive that the reports of renewed anti-semitism in Europe are overblown, but based on what is being said here - and the locales of those who are saying it - I may have been wrong. I guess the expiration date on guilt for genocide is about 50-60 years.

Also, where has the capacity of some people (mainly Europeans, but many Americans as well) to make a value judgment gone? If we can't agree that Arafat was a very bad man, then who was? Will we re-evaluate Hitler and Stalin next? You can say that Arafat was an awful person without commenting on the validity of the Palestinian cause as a whole. I personally support the idea of a Palestinian state, but they've got to get their act together or it will just be another failed Arab kleptocracy. I lived in the Middle East and worked with many Palestinians. They're good people, but they need to rid themselves of this leadership clique bent on throwing rocks and suicide bombings or they will get nowhere.

This is why the Palestian leadership are terrorists and the Israelis are not. Follow closely people. Palestinians target Israeli civilians in civilian areas and use civilians to carry out these attacks. Their leaders hide themselves among the populace, forcing Isreali responses to endanger and, regrettably all too often, kill Palestinian civilians. In short, Palestinians could (if they wished) simply target Israeli military and governemnt targets, but they decided against that. They then put the Israelis in a position of not responding or repsonding in a way that will likely kill civilians. Those are cheap, terrorist, tactics. As bad as human shields and hiding out in mosques.

And don't start on the Peace Prize thing. It counts for nothing. It's almost as meaningless as being honored by the United Nations.

22. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

23. lalcan macrumors regular

Foxer:

You have such a one-sided version of the history...

So if Jordan and Egypt invade Israel, it gives Israel the Godsend right to do the same to Palestine?

How many generations of germans do you want to hold the stain of the WWII? forever? perhaps a couple of weeks after final judgement? Then, shouldn't USA hold the stain of being the only ones ever to drop a nuke over a city, not military targets, mind you? TV set hasn't told you that, i guess.

You shouldn't judge anyone, you are not here to do it, this guy is dead, he has already been judged by, let him rest in peace, this whole "I'm the good guy and will teach the world the way things are supposed to be" thing won't get you anywhere.

BTW is that Groucho Marx in your avatar?

24. pabloman macrumors newbie

Those rasistic sionist-extremists...

Well said, lalcan. I fully agree!

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. Sad that he was unable to realize of dream of peace and a Palestinian State. May his death bring on a real push to a fruitful peace.