Architects in MacRumors

Discussion in 'Community' started by vitruvius, Jul 26, 2002.

1. vitruvius macrumors regular

Im an Architect from Caracas Venezuela and Graduated about 2 1/2 years ago and work also as a Stage designer and 3D modeler, i was wondering if theres another architect (graduated or student) or something related here in MacRumors

heres a picture of my Thesis (an experimental theater) which mixes three of my passions
    Architecture,Theater and 3D Modeling

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I spent 3 years studying architecture before moving on to computers - and this was before computers became big in schools, we had to do all the drawings by hand and make the models - I loved it. I don't know if I have an pics of my old stuff, it was from the early 80s - if I ever dig it up, I'll post it.

The model looks good, what did you do it all in? And in the design process, do you do most of it on the computer or do you still do a lot of drawing?

D

3. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

yep duke thats what i though, i saw your GeekFest Pictures (quite nice buildings, someday i have to go to NewOrleans) and u still have the "architect eye" :) , i have many friends who started studying Architecture, and then left the studies to be something else, the list is quite long:musicians,graphic designers, modelmakers, Cientists, 3D artists , so its not unusual. Im basically in the same position, even im graduated, now i work in related fields but not in specifically architectural works:Stage design for theater and TV, graphic design and 3D Modeling, but from time to time im get involved in Architectural stuffs.

in relation to the model, I made it completely, in fact in my thesis presentation werent no linear 2D drawings, all plans, sections, elevations, axonometrics and perspectives were rendered from the main 3D Model (with color and shadows) and printed in Photografic Paper (you can see the rest of the drawings in my webpage in the thesis menu). in this specific project i did very little hand drawings, just the first conceptual ones (even i really like to draw) but i decided to experiment asuming the design process inside the computer, and since then i assumed that as a way of work.

i would like to see some of your works, even the 80's aren't one of my favourite architectural periods:D

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

nice, I would like to move to 3d, but it seems very challenging and getting apps to do it ain't cheap

5. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of 3D are u planning to do? there are diferent levels of 3D works from simple 3D illustration to Advanced animation for TV and Movies , learning process, right app to do it and prices differ vastly depending on what are u planning to do . i will happy to guide u to choose an apropiate way to learn 3D:)
    -------

really, isnt other architect here in MacRumors??

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm sure that there are plenty of architects here, its just the weekend and things are slow. Wait till Monday and maybe you'll get more interest.

D

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I have only done house plans in Tech Drawing at school and a tiny bit of CAD,

I want to do some 3D landscapes, I'm not sure if thats a category, but I would love to do it.... I would like to do like blocks of land and building designs anything would be fun

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a bit obvious, but have you ever played with Bryce? Its a relatively simple terrain builder - has good fractal settings for textures and terrain - you can make some nice stuff, but its not really good for much else.

D

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm working on CAD as we speak.

I'm working as a draftsman in California. We use ArchiCAD on G4's. If the houses were less gutless and the clients less irritating I could probably enjoy this. ;)

Tell me more about your thesis, it sounds very much like something I've been mulling over for some time.

10. richierich macrumors newbie

I am an architect here in the UK working mostly on interiors. It takes 7 years here to qualify!!!! But probably worth it - it seems like I am the only one here who is actually building things??

I have mainly done advertising agencies, dot com offices (when there were some around) and just general commercial stuff. ALthough I would say my style is totally honest in the use of materials and clarity in the space.

I use 3DS Max for all my 3D work and Auto CAD...... yeah i am on a PC at work and wish I wasn't but who can tell me what are the best alternatives in the Mac world (i have a mac at home). I know Max quite well now so it would be hard to change???

anyway I recommend my job to anyone however the job market is not what you would call stable.

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Actually I am working for an Architect, and most of the work gets built (unless the cient goes broke):eek:

Here in the land of Litigation it's not common practice to do commercial voluntarily. We do high end residential in Northern California. If I do 1 more Fake "Mediterranian" or Fake Craftsman I'll go a bit nuts.:p :(

Building houses in 3DS Max is like building models out of cardboard. The CAD system we're using on the Mac is OS X compliant Carbon and was designed specifically for Architectural design on the Mac. ArchiCAD can be found at www.graphisoft.com and is the most intuitive CAD program available for Architects who want to keep it Simple.

12. TitaniumDustin macrumors newbie

Former Architect Turned Web/DB Developer

I have a degree in Architecture and worked at a firm doing 3D Modeling and web design for three years. We used Form-Z (www.formz.com) as our main modeling tool. It is an INCREDIBLE piece of software! Recent versions have added sufficient improvements to rendering and animations, so we did all final images in Form-Z instead of the past use of Electric Image.

Eventually, I moved into web and database design and built a web-based project management system to do document tracking, web-based forms and correspondance. We could get the entire project team from owner to contractor on the same page with the project, and automatic email notification and 24/7 data access meant better efficiency.

I got so enthralled with the web/database aspect of the work, that my only choice for some vertical career movement was to find a multimedia company to work for.

The pay jump didn't hurt either, as all of you in the architecture field know. :p

I'll try to find some renderings to post to the list...

-Dustin

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a 3.8 version of formZ and find it to be clunky when trying to design and build a model. I've used plenty of 3D software before, Sculpt4D, StrataStudioPro, LightWave, InfiniD, some AutoCad and I've found it to be the hardest to use. I gave up learning more because I can do everything I need much more easily with the Modeler in LightWave.

I'd would like to here more about your experience with formZ if you have the time.

Thanks,

D

14. richierich macrumors newbie

I looked at formz a while ago and I agree that I found it a bit awkward. Also I was getting better results in my acad / max combo use than people I know who were using it.

I do most of the main modelling in autocad actually with a few extra bits in 3dsmax. It is actually quite easy when you are used to it and very quick (being using them for about 8 years now)

I am just starting my own company now and don't want any PC's in the office, just macs but am concerned over swapping cad and rendering systems. I have heard a lot of good things about archicad, but can you model and render in it to the quality of Max or use formZ / lightwave??? and do they link up as well - ie you can open autocad models up straight into Max.

Also building a website soon and getting into Flash MX...... should be fun!!!

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Why yes!

ArchiCAD has a proprietary model type (GDL) but it is supported by FormZ and several other modellers. It's not cheap ($4,000.00 USD Per seat with volume discounts from 5 licenses up) But it is VERY intuitive for draftsmen and Architects with little re-training from hand drafting.

Look around here : http://www.objectsonline.com/bg/

for some of the modelling products available for ArchiCAD.

Vendor companies such as Andersen Windows and Doors can be found as GSL parts at www.gdlcentral.com

ArchiCAD 7.0.3 is OS X compliant and has a number of time saving features including QTVR, realtime solids modelling of the entire project, Photorealistic texturemapping, light effects with available time/season/location settings, variable prespective renderings, automatic wall cutting y roof planes, automated roof plane determination, streamlined Architectural-only tool pallette, etc.

The only issue I have with ArchiCAD is it's lack of AltiVec support which, I suspect has something to do with Jaguar and the future of Apple's reliance on Motorolla.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Are there any good spacial design resources online - I'm working on putting together another CubicQTVR and even though I've got most of my ideas drawn out it can't hurt to look at some other work.

D

17. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

hi you there

Hello real architects , former architects, even spiritual architects and any kind of design lovers, nice to see there are plenty of creative people in here!
    -----
    to Mac15:
    Bryce is a Good Starting point if you are planning to do LandScape Renderings, but i think its a very limited package and also has one of the worse rendering engines ( at least one of the slowers) maybe u should take a look at Vue de Sprit ( ithink thats the name) its a french software that does similar things as Bryce, but it think has a better interface and rendering engine plus OpenGL real time visualization, totaly native on OSX, i havent used but ive heard nice comments on it
    ------
    to Mischief:
    1- u can see most of my Thesis in my Web Page ( the more important drawings) the site for the thesis was and old house that worked as an experimental theater for a Research Center for Latinoamerican Stage arts (CELCIT) built as a copy of and old thater in Spain (el Patio de Almagro) a very nice open theater that has some heritage and similarities from Famous British theaters as The Globe and the Rose, but my theater was built as a Naif version of those, so my proje was to recreate propertly such open theaters without loose the memory of the site.

2-How is to work on ArchiCad? i always have work on VectorWorks (since the old days of MiniCad+) but im very intrigued on the posibilities of ArchiCad( by the way version 8 is about to be released, maybe it has Altivec support) , are u work on simultaneusly 3D/2D projects, or any large scale and complex ones? i would like to know some opinions on the Software

3-to richierich:
    i also build things , but mainly ephemeral disposals for Theater and TV , but is quite nice those things take so little time to be builded u can see quite fast the results of your designs, buidings are quite differnt u can wait weeks and nothing seem to change apparently, i also work with my father who is also an architect and we ar working now in a Municipal School building and a Urban Renewal in Caracas, both in Construction. i use VectorWorks on regular basis for 2D drawings and FormZ for 3D, and now recently i have discovered Cinema 4D that has one of the Better and faster Rendering engines of Market ( most of my latest MockUps were modeled in FormZ and rendered in Cinema)

------
    to Dusting
    i started to use FormZ about 6 years ago and i love it, it has one of the best interfaces for really accurate technical and architectural models , maybe not for more organic models (at least at actual version, version 4.0 promises really cool new features as very complex sets of HyperNurbs,plugin develoment and network rendering) its one of my favorite tools, although i have to admit that has an steped learning curve, it take me about 1 1/2 months to reach a decent level of modeling (after do all the tutorials on the manual)but it worth it. but in 3D world once u choose a tool its hard to swich to another , i get a copy of LightWave and the interface really scared me, its so different,weird and plane in comparison with the funny interface of Cinema 4D (but thats a matter of tastes)
    -----
    to all:
    if you are looking for 3D resorces take a look at:
    www.3dlinks.com
    www.3dcafe.com

they have a bunch of resources for any imaginable 3D project, incluiding free textures and models, tutorials for practicaly any softwares and discussion forums on the software of your preference, and dont forget www.architosh.com one of the most complte and up to date sites for Cadd/3D on Macs ( also a good source of rumors)

well, im really enjoying this thread, nice to hear about other people in the same business ;)

18. TitaniumDustin macrumors newbie

Ahh....... talking Architecture...

Hey folks, by the way I have been re-reading a book from my Arch. school days, and I highly recommend it to any and all interested in Architecture and City Planning.

Jane Jacobs. The Death and Life of Great American Cities

If you haven't read it before, you definately should pick it up.

:)

19. richierich macrumors newbie

sounds intersting mischief - thanks. Do you know if you can get a demo copy??

also for you guys, to get some nice 3d furniture (european designers) check out www.e-interiors.net - some superb stuff on there if you can be bothered to search through and is all free:) ;)

Not doing much here at the moment......... the usual summer drag has started.....

have fun in the office guys and don't throw the computer out the window when the clients phone and spout their usual!!!!

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I need to know if anyone here has worked with VectorWorks - its a mid range CAD/3D Design program. Here's the company website: http://www.nemetschek.net/

The software has a very formZ interface - funny actually.

Vitruvius - I've used probably half a dozen CAD/3D Apps and I've found Lightwave to be the easiest to use in terms of modeling. But like you mentioned, its just a matter of getting familliar with an app - but stick to it with Lightwave, its totally worth it. I'm right in the middle of making some more CubicQTVRs and should have an interior one I through together up soon - with hotspots to try the walk through.

D

21. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

ArchiCAD and ease of use:

If I was just cranking out projects without the sea of bizzare and confused data from the cities, clients and (honestly) the Architect the process would be incredibly fast.

ArchiCAD creates the whole 3D model simultaniously with the 2D drawings so when you "pull" a wall object it is simultaniously generated as a hidden line model to which surface attributes and composition can be added easily in a simple control panel.

The history of the software explains a lot about the unique method. ArciCAD was initially developed in Romania during the cold war on Macs that had to be smuggled in in pieces and then hacked in binary to discover how to program for them. This resulted in extremely efficient coding and innovative techniques uniquely suited to RISC processors.

Rather than drawing in 2D and then adding on layers of vectors, surfaces, etc. ArchiCAD is designed around having the whole process object based such that tools are arranged by structural type: Walls, slabs, stairs, roofs, etc. from the outset.

This makes for an extremely user-friendly system of tools that give rapid and familliar feedback to builders, architects and engineers. Automation of tasks and pre-existing parameters for how various building materials interact makes resolution of otherwise problematic processes (such as complex rooves) as simple as switching views.

I have done studies: designing and refining a 3/2 for my own amusement (it took less than a day to generate the entire house) was quite simple as I only had my own input to deal with. I did a studio for Eyelikeart the same way over a lunch period. Despite some quirks it is far and away the simplest and most intuitive way to design Architecture while maintaining sanity.

Free demo CD can be found here: http://www.asymtechnologies.com/archicad.htm

22. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

I use VectorWorks in my day to day Work for 2D drawing, its a very nice piece of software, its easy to learn and have very powerfull tools ( the wall tool is one of them) and a very developed visual smart snap system ( even AutoCad has copied most of this system) and now is able to interchange DWG files with AutoCad with high level of compatibility, as i said is quite nice to work with 2D stuff but the 3D interface even had been really improoved in these last years, isnt good enough to create very complex models (its basically oriented to architecture field, in the most comercial sense) and the render engine (RenderWorks) still sux, i usually generate the 2D complex shapes in VectorWorks and export them to FormZ or Cinema 4D (nemetschek also owns Maxon the company that create Cinema, so maybe in the future they some integration system between this 2 apps)for 3D development ( most of my Thesis was done this way).

are u planning to give try to VectorWorks duke? i hope this helps u:)

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was asked the other night about it, and I went looking on the web to see what it was, but I wanted to hear from someone who used it.

I don't know if I will be using it or not - its just a possibility. Thanks,

D

24. vitruvius thread starter macrumors regular

Re: ArchiCAD and ease of use:

wow quite nice history on the creation of Archicad, i seem a powerfull piece of software! how long did it takes to u to learn it ?

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Learning the software is easy.

It took me about a month of on the fly learning to get it all but that was greatly inflated by learning the trade at the same time. If I had come directly from design school or had experience as a draftsman previously it could be mastered in less than a week.

I've been using ArchiCAD for about 2 years now and it's been considerably easier to learn the software than to learn the business. You want a wall? click on the wall tool and pull a wall, you want a roof? Draw a polygon around the perimeter of a structure, set a pitch and poof! -roof. My only gripe is the lack of an integrated fine-modeller. If I wanted to do an ornate fountain with little cherubs and lion heads and such I'd have to use a 3rd party program and import the part.