Archive and install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by quigleybc, Jul 14, 2005.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hi

I did an arhive and install with Tiger when it came out,

Everything is working fine, my question is about the "previous sytems" folder that is created after the archive and install.

The folder takes up way too much disc space and i would like to burn it to a dvd just in case, and then trash the folder.

I am able to trash the folder, after entering my admin password, But when I try to burn the folder, i get this message:

"Burning the disc failed because one or more items in "Untitled DvD" could not be read.

"/Previous Systems.localized/Previous System 1/sbin/init"cannot be read.

My dvd is then shot out at me in disgust.

What's the deal?

I am hesitant to just trash it, even though my current system is running flawlessly.

Suggestions? :eek:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If your system is working flawlessly then feel free to trash it (I certainly have!) ;)

It's more there in case there are any apps that had stored things in the System folders which don't work properly after the archive. Things like the Adobe Unit Types that stopped files opening when being dropped on the icon etc.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

So that is what is preventing Photoshop from (launching then) opening a file when I drag it's icon onto the app in my Dock? (PS launches, I just have to use the menubar to open the file I want). I haven't trashed my previous system folder yet, so how do I fix this?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Here's the fix for it (it says Panther but works on Tiger too)

Someone on MR created a mini-app that did it for you but I can't find the thread with that in it.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

BRILLIANT! :D

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I was able to use Spotlight to find and copy that Adobe Unit Types. :)

Without that I was getting a message just after PS opened that some file was missing from "Application Support" folder, which was kind of strange because that file was in Library/ScriptingAdditions folder.

8. reubs macrumors 68000

Sorry to pull this back from the dead, but I have a new questions.

I did an reinstall of X11 the other day (which turns out to have been a mistake and a waste of time anyway), and I did the archive/install option. I lost about 6 GB of the available space I had (10 GB down to about 4GB), but my previous system.localized folder is about 11 GB. I'm not sure why that's so much and I didn't lose more space...

Any ideas?

Thanks much!