Archive expander that allows browsing of zip archives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mduser63, Jan 1, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Anybody know of a free/cheap (as in not $80 like StuffIt Deluxe) app that will allow you to browse zip archives without unstuffing them? That's one of the very few things that Windows has that I really with OS X had. I have some big zip files and it's a pain to wait for them to unzip when I only need one small file out of them.

I know StuffIt Deluxe will do what I want, but I'd rather not fork over $80 for such a relatively small capability.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use Terminal.app.

List all files in a zip archive: unzip -l zipfile.zip (that's a lower case 'L' in the flag)

Extract one (or more files): unzip zipfile.zip "path/to/files/filename*.*" (you can give it one specific file, or several or even use *, like if you want all the gifs in a folder called images in the zip file, type: unzip zipfile.zip "images/*.gif")

For more info, type: man unzip

It's free! :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

ZipIt will do what you want, but has a $20.00 shareware fee. Archive Viewer is a donationware solution to your problem.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's a Spotlight plugin (available on Apple's download page, I don't remember the name) that can index the names of files inside zip archives.

5. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Thanks for the replies. Archive Viewer seems to not be available anymore, but ZipIt will do the trick. I'll also check out the Spotlight plugin mentioned.