Archive & Install on 10.3.4

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by SteveBeat, Jun 24, 2004.

1. SteveBeat macrumors member

OK, so I ran a new installation of Panther on my iBook when I couldn't get a start-up screen. Then I did the Software Update so I am right back where I was before at 10.3.4. So I had to do this twice in two weeks and it used up about six GB of space that I could really use. I haven't had to change any files other than downloading Safari 1.2 again, so am I able to delete "Previous System 1" and "Previous System 2" from my HD? The comp is running fine now, but I don't want to delete anything from Developer or Library that could screw me over later. Thanks.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If everything is working you don't need the old systems.

Out of curiosity--why the repeated OS installs in such a short amount of time?

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

If you had any third party app in your pref pane, you may want to copy that before deleting older system files.

cheers

4. SteveBeat thread starter macrumors member

Well, the first install was because I did the 10.3.4 install and it got to 77% and then froze. So when I restarted, I had to just A&I because of a problem I didn't recognize. The Tech Support guy just said restart with the CD. Then the second one I had to do today because my comp froze up and it came up with the folder with the question mark in it. So I did it again and everything's fine now. There should be nothing wrong with my comp, it's a 900mHz iBook that is only a year old. It's been working great since then. I dunno.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Right, I remember reading that post this morning. It's not usual to have that kind of problem and it's even less usual to have it a lot unless 1 of 2 conditions exist: 1.) hard drive is starting to fail. 2.) User messes things up. Hopefully it's #2 in your case--it's cheaper and easier to fix. :)

6. SteveBeat thread starter macrumors member

If my hard drive is failing I'm gonna set my goddamn computer on fire. My clamshell iBook lasted for like four years and I dropped that thing a million times and treated it like ****. I've baby'ed this one for a year, so it better get its **** together.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I like watching people threaten inanimate objects. I haven't found it too effective myself. My cars and computers respond a lot better when I meet them on their own level.