Archive & Install questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by besler3035, May 11, 2005.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    After much convincing by fellow forum members, I've decided to do an Archive & Install for Tiger. I'm still having trouble understanding it though. Will it keep all of my applications and their settings, including iTunes music and iPhoto pictures, or will I have to reinstall all of my applications and re-load all of these settings off of a backup?

Yes, I know I should backup anyways, so please save that lecture. I already have everything pretty much backed up for the install. I've heard that A&I is basically an upgrade but "cleans up" your hard drive so it's running like new. Is this true?

Please help before I order Tiger!!!
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    All your Pictures/Music/Movies/Applications will stay where they are and you shouldn't have to do anything to them. Tiger will rebuild your Mail when you first open it but everything else should be fine. Your old system files will be archived in Previous Systems just in case there's anything you need (like the Adobe file types file that you'll find threads about if you search on Photoshop and Tiger)

Make sure you've turned off any odd preference panels, start-up apps etc before you install Tiger. And I'm still going to lecture 'it should all be fine but make sure you have got irreplaceable stuff backed up'