Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
i have a pretty old Mac, LC III with 80 MB HD. i'm getting rid of it but before i do that, i thought since the HD is so small, i could afford to "archive" the entire HD. i thought it would make a fun project.

the only mass storage connection available is the SCSI and i have found a SCSI HD. so i'm gonna try connecting it tonight.

other than dragging the entire "MacIntosh HD" to the SCSI HD on the desktop, is there anything i need to know?

i have a 12" PB. i know i won't be able to boot into whatever is on the LC III, but will classic (i.e. OS 9.2.2) be able to handle applications on the LC III?

any thoughts, ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I got given a imac 233 recenly, although the person who gave it me had backed up & moved all the files to their new computer, they wanted a copy of the HD should they needed any pref files from the system etc. I found that making a disk image or copying the filed to an external drive wouldnt let me copy some of the system files as they were in use, so I had to boot from CD before i could do the copy. Its funny to think that entire HD would fit onto Multimedia card. I still got an old 60MB HD from my atari ST cost me £800 in 1985ish!!!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
What OS is the old guy running? I would find a Zip drive for the SCSI and just copy the entire contents to it. 80mbs will fit just fine and you could access it at any time. There really isn't any special to know about it, just make sure the archive goes alright maybe do a redundant backup and then reformat the drive with zeros.

If you boot into classic on your power book (if you can) it should handle any app you have on the old HD

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
thanks for sharing, guys...

i think it's running 7.1. it's b/w. i'm still amazed it runs - and it runs quite well.

i wasn't able to connect the SCSI HD. i think the internal HD is SCSI and it's terminated at ID 0. so i need to find the jumper, i think, and un-terminate it.

i will try the zip disk method, although i'm not sure if it will mount...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.