Archos 5 - Is it Mac friendly?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Jets, Nov 25, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2008
    If anyone can help me, I'd be grateful.

I was thinking of buying an iPod touch, but I came across the Archos 5/5g recently, and I can't decide which to get. Its a no-brainer for me really, because the Archos has everything and more, that I need, and it's only marginally more expensive. The problem is: I have no idea (even after lengthy research) whether Archos products are compatible with Mac/iTunes/Quicktime etc.

If anyone knows.
  2. macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2008
    i just received mine and it is compatible with a mac, you just need to use it as a hard drive, it's not compatible with itunes tho, wish i would've known that beforehand...knowing that, i would've bought the archos 5 anyways.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2008
    But you can still add music from iTunes to it, can't you? You just have to transfer the files. I'm just about to make my decision, so I really need to get an educated point of view.
  4. macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2010
    Archos Mac Compatibility

I have just bought an Archos 1 vision. Mistake. It isn't compatible with i-tunes and therefore you lose the 'sync' button functionality. Now, having apparently transferred the files OK, the Archos doesn't read the file type, displaying all the titles labouriously drag-n'-dropped with a peeled page with a question mark. So, no - Archos products are not Mac-compatible, and as the entry-level i-pod shuffle has the functionality of a flint axe -
    So my question would be- why won't the Archos read the music content of transferred files?