Are Americans Really That Stupid?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Music_Producer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Everyday it becomes more and more apparent that the whole Iraq war was a scam (check this, it just makes me even more angry - http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/19/powell.un/index.html) .. the economy is in the doldrums.. unemployment is at its highest and yet, when there's a poll conducted for how Bush is doing his job.. there's still 49% who thinks he's doing great!!! I was surprised that he was elected for the second time (more like shocked) but even more shocked that after everything is so obvious now, 49% of the country still thinks he's doing a good job.

So are americans really that stupid or what? Please.. don't take this literally..I don't mean stupid as in lacking intelligence.. just lacking logic! This just bothers me that so many people think our current administration is great for the country :confused:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Political forum, methinks.

Where I'm sure a gross generalisation about approx. 500 million people will be welcome. ;)

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Military spending causes inflation, so the gas price and lousy economy can be in part attributed to the policy of the Bush-(wacked) administration.

4. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

yes, yes, yes.
    but it's getting boring talking about it.

5. Music_Producer thread starter macrumors 68000

Hey Blue.. yeah i was a little confused too as to whether I should place that post here or in the political forum, but see its not really about politics. Its "I can't beleive 49% of the country is so stupid!!!!!!" and does anyone else think the same. :)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The way I see it, everything could be falling to bits but as long as there's a god-fearing man in the top job... well, that just makes everything all right. Doesn't it?

Sleep tight.

7. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

[​IMG]

Einstein dies and goes to heaven. At the Pearly Gates, Saint Peter tells him, "You look like Einstein, but you have NO idea the lengths that some people will go to sneak into Heaven. Can
    you prove who you really are?"

Einstein ponders for a few seconds and asks, "Could I have a blackboard and some chalk?"

Saint Peter snaps his fingers and a blackboard and chalk instantly appear. Einstein proceeds to describe with arcane mathematics and symbols his theory of relativity.

Saint Peter is suitably impressed. "You really ARE Einstein!" he says. "Welcome to heaven!"

The next to arrive is Picasso. Once again, Saint Peter asks for credentials.

Picasso asks, "Mind if I use that blackboard and chalk?"

Saint Peter says, "Go ahead."

Picasso erases Einstein's equations and sketches a truly stunning mural with just a few strokes of chalk.

Saint Peter claps. "Surely you are the great artist you claim to be!" he says. "Come on in!"

Then Saint Peter looks up and sees George W. Bush. Saint Peter scratches his head and says, "Einstein and Picasso both managed to prove their identity. How can you prove
    yours?"

George W. looks bewildered and says, "Who are Einstein and Picasso?"

Saint Peter sighs and says, "Come on in, George."

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bear in mind that the Brits were happy to vote Blair back into government after the Iraq/WMD fiasco too... this title could just as easily be 'Are Brits really that stupid?'

Although with the state of the UK opposition, it wasn't really surprising.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"are americans really that stupid?"...

49% of them are :D

10. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Up front, I'll say that I'm not thrilled with Bush but I was only mildly more in favor of him that Kerry during the last election. I thought both of them to be less-than ideal choices.

Did anyone see the images of the Iraqis during their first free election day? Tell me they weren't grateful for what's happened as a result of the war. At the same time, did Bush do something to "line the pockets" of his cronies? Probably. Much the same way Clinton did for the Chinese in the mid-90s and LBJ did for the defense industry during Vietnam. ALL POLITICIANS DO IT!

Last rant then I'm off my soapbox -- for anyone who's doubts that America shouldn't give 100% to fight terrorism, you need to head to south Manhattan and see the big hole in the ground were 3,000 people were slaughtered in 2001. Don't count on what Fox or CNN show you -- see it with your own eyes. If after that experience, you can still say that we shouldn't be fighting, well, I don't agree, but at least respect you for making your own judgement.

Sorry for the rant -- just a little frustrated with the media painting Bush as a fool when in my opinion and experience he's probably no better, no worse, and no more honest than any other president in the last 20-30 years.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

We're just programmed from a very early age to be good consumers, and politicians sell themselves. all they have to do is use the right meaningless slogan or catch-phrase (such as "freedom isn't free") and people will overlook just about anything. It's the reason people buy things from infomercials: you know it won't work, but you want it to so bad, you'll spend the money. Only in this case, money equates to our children's safety and future. So, you can't fault people for doing what they were trained to do.

But I agree, you guys put Blair back in? At least our guys had the originality to come up with the lie. Your guy just nodded his head along.

sharks: couldn't people from a lot of countries use that rational to start wars? I mean, the USA has caused a lot more than 3,000 deaths in other countries. Should they declare war on us? oops, they did. Maybe there's a connection.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've seen that hole, my sister lived a block or 2 away from the WTC when it went down and was originally supposed to be in the WTC that day but wasn't due to a last minute change of plans, and I still think that we shouldn't be fighting. The war is now a lost cause, more of our men and women are getting killed, money is running low, driving the economy to the toilet, countless numbers of civilians are dead, need I go on? And to make matters worse, we've given up on finding Bin Laden; the one person who needs to be caught or killed.

In 2001, 700,000 people died from heart disease. Where is the government's help in combating heart disease? 553,000 people died from cancer. I don't see the government spending nearly 100 billion dollars trying to find a cure. 44,000 died in car accidents. Our roads are still in the same crappy condition they've always been, contributing to a lot of traffic accidents. The 3,000 people that died in 9/11 is tragic, yet minuscule compared to other causes of death. So why is it that Bush & Co. find it neccesary to spend billions of dollars and end tens of thousands of lives on this so-called war against terror? They haven't made any progress and never will. The economy is the worst its been in years and continues to decline as the war goes on. And you can't forget that this war was based on lies in the first place. Just think about how much better this country would be if the money that was spent on the war was instead spent on good things, such as feeding and sheltering the homeless, providing healthcare, medical research for said diseases. Oh, and speaking of helping the homeless and providing healthcare, I have a question for the few conservatives here. Why is it, that when Bush helps the Iraqis with food, clothes, healthcare, shelter, ect, its a wonderful thing and Bush should be praised, but if a democrat proposes that we provide those things to people in the US, it's evil communism?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree that they were both less than ideal, but Bush scares me a lot more then Kerry.

And once we leave, if ever, that country will fall back into chaos. I didn't think that before, but I do now. Do you really think that Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds will get along? I have serious doubts.

I've been to ground zero, several months after it happened and have many friends who were there and were lucky enough to survive. Of course we should fight terrorism, but Iraq is the wrong target. We should have taken it to Saudi Arabia- the 9/11 terorrists were Saudi nationals. Had we done that, I'd be supporting it fully.

That's OK- we like rants. And for the record, I think he's THE worst President we've ever had. Period.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm going to quote David Cross here: "Having a war on terrorism is the same as having a war on jealousy. You're never going to win it!"

And its true. The longer we keep pissing these religious extremist pieces of s*** off, the longer they will keep terrorizing our countries. Sorry, but it's the truth.

15. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Thanks for the reply -- I appreciate your opinion even after seeing the massacre site. I don't agree, but respect your logic and belief. I do however agree that America has lost it's way on as to what the "end game" is in Iraq and am leaning towards the belief that we should get out sooner rather than later.

Interesting comments on the number of deaths and the money we've spent on Iraq. But, in my experience, the last thing I want is government-sponsored (read: increased taxes) healthcare. I've worked with and am friends with a few Canadian expatriates (sp?) that absolutely abhorred it. And I'll argue that high taxes and complicated laws make it expensive to do business in the US, especially here in California. I think that has a more detrimental impact to the economy.

And excellent point about food, shelter, etc. and the disparate treatment. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

yg17 - Maybe you should go and research how much of the Governments money goes into Cancer and Heart Disease research.

The main reason why America is fighting back is...

WE ARE PROTECTING OUR FREEDOMS.

Cancer and heart disease don't take any freedoms away, but crazy koran worishipers do.

17. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I know this isnt the politics forum but I'll add my post anyways..

It's obvious that the reason why he was elected the second time around was because people wanted to see him finish what he started in Iraq. Kerry didn’t have a solid plan of what to do in Iraq and kept flip-flopping on issues. Bush is doing a very bad job with everything from the war in Iraq to all the illegal immigrants crossing the border to the US but I cant say I blame him entirely and I place the blame partly on the democratic system we have.

If it were up to me I wouldn’t of gone with Iraq but I would of gone and taken care of the terrorist problem once and for all and just nuked every town & city in Syria and Iran, I would of taken out any and all mosques in the United States and deported anyone that's involved in or supports Muslim extremism and or terrorism. On the border I would of placed mines, barbwire and a 20ft tall wall with guard towers every half a mile to a mile and only 2-4 ports of entry to this country from Mexico and Canada. I don't have a problem with Mexicans coming to this country legally but when they come here illegally have 4-5 children and end up on welfare because they cant afford it, over populate our schools forcing them to spend tax payer money on renovations and improvements to "accommodate" them then I have a problem. There's tons more wrong and which should be changed but I kept it brief.

As much as I hate to say it America seems to be the dumpster of the world, everyone else can take a crap on us and we have to respect their rights, religion, freedoms yet when it comes to them respecting ours then they can crap on it all they want and no ones going to protest.. no ones going to argue. I remember hearing about US forces that desecrated the Koran and everyone was in outrage with protests and the president of Afghan wanted swift action against those people. When it comes to people desecrating the US flag no one anywhere seems to care enough to protest about it or call for swift action. People can crap on the US and the US has to take it with the democratic system in place, we cant let the president take care of the border problem since supreme courts would just veto it, lawyers would jump all over it and there'd be an outrage from all the Latino groups, bush cant effectively fight the war on terror since well for one he's in Iraq instead of Syria and Iran, we still haven’t gotten bid laden over the whole 9/11 tragedy and a small blurb on the news about bin laden "possibly being killed" then switching to WMD's in Iraq doesn’t instill a lot of trust on where everything is going. Now you have gas prices going up near $3.00+ a gallon and everyone can blame not only the terrorists but the speculators on wall street for driving the prices up when it seems like we should just take oil and gas off the stock exchange and just have OPAC or the government set up a fixed price since this is ridicules. You've got the twin towers at what half a billion each plus the loss of 3,000+ lives and property tax and insurance going up due to 9/11.

So where is it all going to stop? You don’t even need the terrorists coming in to the US with bombs to make an impact on the US, they can just do it from home and have US markets go down, people loosing money, loosing jobs, gas and oil prices going higher, etc. I just don’t know how much more the US can take of the markets going down, gas prices rising, illegal hopping the border, unemployment, national debt and spending going out of control, war on terror loosing focus, justice system becoming a joke, etc.

But what would you all care anyways, you go about your daily lives caring more about the grass on your property.

Edit: Freedom is a great thing, one of those things we should fight for but what kind of freedom is it when because of the way things are setup people of different religions and races can crap on you or your believes and get away with it but if you try and do it to them to defend your religion or race its usually called racism?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And you wonder why much of the world does think you're stupid?

19. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Hillary scares me the most. :)

Nope. But, every president tries to fix it and I'll bet that whoever's there after Bush will too.

Well, I'm not going to go to bat for the guy. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think he was the best choice for president, I just think he was the "least incompetent". I'm praying that in the next election we'll have a solid candidate.

20. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only freedoms that have been taken away as a result of 9/11 are because of the patriot act. Terrorists are not taking away our freedom. They're not rewriting the constitution. They're not passing new laws. They're not throwing people in prison for using their first amendment rights. They're killing people. Its sad and tragic, but its not taking away any freedom I had before 9/11. Please explain to me how a terrorist can directly take away our freedoms. As far as I'm concerned, this "protecting our freedom" bit is what the war mongerers in office are using to get public support for this war, and sadly, it's working.

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

So what freedoms? Like, the freedom to protest? The freedom of privacy? Freedom of press? I can think of a lot of freedoms that have been taken over the past half decade, but all were taken by the republican-controlled congress and white house. Please, I'm not being sarcastic, show me what freedoms they've taken. And freedom of life doesn't count, because cancer and heart disease do take that freedom.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto.

Oh, theres one freedom the terrorists did take away. The freedom to not have to wait in mile long security lines at the airport. :rolleyes:

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

I mean, I understand what makes a person Republican. The ideals of small government, low taxes, personal liberty and responsibility are amiable, and all things I wish for our country. But with the exception of tax cuts (which, by the way, no one has explained to me how we'll pay for), Bush has not supported these ideals. Show me a president who spent more money, even in wartime, accounting for inflation and technological advances. Show me a president who has been more secretive. And whatever "rights" Bush is safeguarding, they're certainly not the rights that I see going down the toilet today. I'm not saying Republicans are evil, far from it. I'm saying that Bush isn't a Republican. And Republicans need to notice that. Don't just buy the product that looks like your usual brand. Read the labels closely and understand the differences.

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're right about freedom being a great thing. However, if you consider history, the U.S. government has done its best to encourage conflict, sometimes on both sides. What is too weak, can't hurt you, right?

Consider this: your religion is not my religion is not somewhat else's religion. That's what freedom of religion is supposed to be. If your religion thinks that it should be the only religion, believe that all you want. It's not and won't be and you can't stop others--at least, in this country. You have an extremist attitude, which puts you head-to-head with those you'd like to eliminate.