Are Annual 9-11 Angst Parties Worth It?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

All day long, people are "remembering" aka, feeling sorry for themselves. I'm getting tired of it.

It's like the plans for the WTC - leaving the holes and all, so that we can walk by every day and feel sorry for ourselves again and again and again.

It's like we're so self-centered, we can't possibly imagine why anyone would want to do such terrible things to us. Well guess what, the motivation came from somewhere, so maybe you should stop angsting and think about what you've done to make someone want to hurt you that badly.

Until everyone realizes we're all on the same side, nothing will change.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as i've said before, 9/11 has changed everything that it shouldn't have and nothing that it should have.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sad ... but true ...

sorry to be harsh but all this "9/11" here "11th sept." there is getting on my nerves ......i've nothing against honouring the victims...and now every year the media/tv stations etc. dig out every possible topic about it ... sorry but that's not honouring
    same for all those political games that are played ...

everybody wants to take advantage from it..some want to gain power .. others just money...

sadly i was not able to find a translation for the german word "Selbstbeweihräucherung" (if somebody knows please PM it to me...i would be pleased) it fits exactly to what is going on....

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have not, and don't plan on turning on my TV this weekend at all (except to catch the Star Wars Empire Dreams documentary Sunday evening on A&E) for this very reason. I understand that these people had a terrible loss in their lives, but it's been three years now.

In the real world, when someone is mourning three years after a loss they are suggested to go into counseling. I understood the one year, and accepted the two year, but this is really starting to get a little over the top. I think that it is time that we as the nation move on, as I fear that this will (already has) turn(ed) the event into a political tool which is more tragic than the event itself. :(

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Dunno why anybody's surprised at all this. It's a photo-op for the VIPs, and a way for a bunch of folks to show how compassionate they are, how much they care.

Haven't we spent over a decade decrying the lack of compassion and caring?

But, I reckon most folks just remember it like we remembered--and still remember--Pearl Harbor, or the Achille Lauro--Evil deeds done by a bunch of murderous bastards.

'Rat

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't have a problem with people remembering it. I was at work yesterday, and kept passing a TV with CNN on, and every time I saw that story, I realized how sick at heart it still makes me.

It's still 'way too close to the actual event to start tucking it away in a corner of my mind.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Agreed.

I would hope by such things as the tribute thread here, we can get back to the compassion that I personally saw in all walks of life during the weeks and months that followed 9-11.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that is looooooong gone. seems about the only thing we remember from 9/11 is the phrase, "we will not forget."

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree w/'Rat and Thomas.

I really don't understand the seeming desire to forgot what happend. Everything else aside it is a very important date in history. The events spawned from that day will make their mark on the world for decades.

Lethal

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What we've always been good at is the "If a little bit is good, more is better." behavior pattern. Doesn't matter if it's angst or jubilation. Couple this with our national penchant for publicizing every thing that happens, whether for good or ill. You wind up with 24 hours of televised angst.

IMO, there are those who'd happily ignore and forget 9/11. There are those who are sincere in their demonstration and those who would find some personal advantage in the memorials of 9/11. IMO, again: The majority of us just quietly remember, and we don't require any specific date to do so.

'Rat

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose such people do exist, but I have not met one yet. In fact you are very close to making a political statement here. Is that what you intended?

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am not so sure. I remember each morning on December 7th my Dad placing the Flag at half staff. He lamented that the attack on Pearl Harbor had become just a faint memory, even among his generation.

I wish the politicians would stop using 9-11 as a means of beating political drums. Lets the talk of the fire and police personnel that selflessly went into the belly of the beast that day. Or the many civilian and military personal that came to the aid of people at the WTC and Pentagon that day.

Even if we continue the remembrances till the fifth anniversary, and every five years after. Just keep politics out of it.

13. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Here's my problem, though. I really don't have too much of a problem with observing a moment of silence, something small, tastefull, and designed not to induce self-pity, but make you think of what we've learned.

But no one seems to have taken any more away from the tragedy than "woe is us, let's kill some a-rabs." I think (and there will obviously be disagreement) that our national hubris finally caught up with us. Does this mean we have to be less patriotic, less than the best citizens we can be, or cease to defend our country and let the "enemy" overrun us? Of course not. It means that if we continue to treat others like dirt, we shouldn't be surprised when they lash out against us. You reap what you sow, after all.

When the rest of the world sees us throw international conventions out with the bathwater (pardon the mixed metaphor), abuse/ignore human rights, and single-handedly declare ourselves the "defenders of freedom" and proceed to send our military oversees to attack and occupy other nations, I mean, what are they supposed to think?

Bush's "bigger dick" foreign policy (thank you George Carlin) is exactly the kind of thinking that's gonna perpetuate the fighting and keep any side from ever being safe, no matter how many times victory is declared. In the immortal words of Rodney King :p can't we all just get along?