are anti-smoking ads getting out of control?

Discussion in 'Community' started by windowsblowsass, Jun 13, 2004.

1. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

allright i dont know if all of you have seen them but some of ther new bill boards have tag lines like mid if i smoke care if i die
    im not a smoker or anything and i relise how bad it is but do you think this is a little to much
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one not pictured is a guy saying youre sent is intoxicating then a women saying yours is carcinogaes

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Those are great!

Need some around my area! :D

I dont think they are too much at all.

3. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know they are funny but a little much in my opinion

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I really wonder if anyone really pays any attention to them anymore. Definitely a very blunt approach to the subject. Today the health risk is common knowledge. It's the teenagers that need to be reached, that is usually where smoking begins.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think those are funny.

Some of the TV ads though seem to be over the top though.

Lethal

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think these ads can't be hard enough. We started to print big stickers on cigarette boxes here in Germany, something like "Smoke kills you and the people around you" and many more. Smokers now start to put them in little boxes so they don't need to see them, so these do have an effect on them. Smoking really is a horrible thing. It should be forbidden, but as long as this isn't possible, we should do everything to make the people quit.

7. brap macrumors 68000

Well said. I grew up in a household of smokers, and it's f**ked me up. Now, even with regular working out, my lungs just can't keep up with me. I'm all for humiliation, public bans, anything to stop my younger brother having to go through this.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

There needs to be way more anti-smoking ads in Maine, as the whole f***ing state is full of smokers. It's sickening. And what's even worse is I have to deal with the smell of that s*** almost every day. I've looked at the mental affects of smoking, since others have studied the physical effects...and I'd much rather die than smoke. So I don't see any cruelty in anti-smoking ads that even go to extremes until there are no smokers left to convert.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

absolutely not. Wait, no... ABSOLUTELY NOT! Now, I dont' mean to offend anybody, but I just can not imagine why people still smoke, and at that, why it's still considered "cool" by many. I wholeheartedly support any public effort to this effect or on that scale.

Now, If you're going to be stupid enough to smoke, I don't care... But do not, under any circumstances expect me to "cope" with breathing your second-hand smoke, be friendly/happy when you wash your smokey clothes in the community washer and my clothes come out smelling nasty, or expect me to be sympathetic when you B**** about the rising cost of cigarettes.

In closing, I don't think we're in danger of any anti-smoking campaign becoming "too much" anytime in the near future.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm very much against smoking, but those ads are just stupid. It's more effective to have a scary but moderate message than to have a message designed to scare people that is way over the top. (I was a psych major :) )

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

They must have left CA. You rarely see anyone smoke around here. Of course you are severely limited as to where you can smoke. I forget people still do it! It has cut down incredibly on people smoking.

My husband smoked until about 3 years ago. Shortly after moving in with me he quit. I'm allergic to it and he got away from the social part of the addiction (moving away from his family). He had no problems quitting but I doubt he was physcially addicted. At his height of smoking I think he said he smoke 2 packs a day. :eek:

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Maine's biggest "business" is that of tourist attractions. So don't think that people from only California are whoring up the state of Maine. People from N.H., M.A., Connecticut, New York, and Florida are also moving in, and I got suckered in (from New Jersey) as well. Bah! [​IMG]

BTW: True dat on your sig. (above)

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish they could sell something non-smokers can light up that will cause an even worse odor. Perhaps have a black smoke instead of white. See how they like it.

If Steve Jobs sold smokes, he would probably come up with a new kind instead of the boring kind. They would be called iCigs and come in 5 fruity colors. I have seen no creativity from that industry. They don't even try to address the smell issue at all.

14. pinto32 macrumors 6502

There are two major reasons that people start smoking...1)because they are young and want to be cool, etc. or 2) they think it will help them deal with stress/other problems.

The "coolness factor" is hard to combat, and has possibly been made even more concrete due to the education of the public about the effects of smoking. "I'm not afraid" carries a lot of weight in our society.

The second cause is also hard to combat, as we are a culture that desires a drug of some type as a quick fix to every possible problem, no matter how small...tobacco is just another drug...

I say this as someone who for years despised smokers, but now smokes about a pack a week.....

15. andrewm macrumors regular

New film

Press release:
    [blockquote]Unlike A Day Without a Mexican,, A Day Without a Smoker casts a truly positive light on the absence of a scourge on our society, rather than a satirically negative light on the absence of a particular ethnic group.[/blockquote]

I'm not trolling, by the way, with that faux press release. I don't care what someone does in his or her own residence, but I consider public smoking one of the most ugly, filthy, and dangerous personal habits in which a resident of Earth could engage.

Although the 'lung, Bob' advert is rather shocking, it fits the bill perfectly as the experienced smoker may actually examine the advert with the expectation of seeing some promotional material from Marlboro—but instead is slammed with a rather disturbing message. It's perfect.

The 'Care if I die?' advert doesn't seem over-the-top at all, and as such I cannot really comment on whatever in it made it appear so to others (obviously there was something that I'm not considering).

I feel that shocking adverts, further bans are some of the only means in existence of conquering the battle against tobacco smokers and their patron companies (who aren't quite patrons, since they kill off their best customers—and those around them—to paraphrase one anti-smoking slogan). Taxes may deter potential customers, but with higher taxes on tobacco products will come a boom in smuggling operations, I should think.

Some of my friends feel rather indifferent, with the opinion that one must decide for oneself—one even says that anti-smoking campaigns are just as bad as smoking advertisements, since they're both propaganda. I do agree with the former: a person must decide whether or not to smoke tobacco; but I feel until researchers make enough breakthrough discoveries about the exact effects of tobacco smoke on the lungs, until virtually ever tobacco smoker and company embraces and accepts this research, until absolutely no one smokes with the endangerment of others (id est, no more smoking in public or around others), and until, basically, these campaigns prove unnecessary, more extreme measures, such as highly graphic and disturbing advertisements (with a cynical twist on death), are in order.

Although my thoughts and opinions—indeed, my rationalisations—probably come off as somewhat extreme, I have posted with no intention of trolling or putting up blatantly offensive content.

Cheers!

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

17. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

One cool message i heard from a friend who took it from a friend...

"If smoking is your joy, you spread your joy in our faces, our lungs, our clothes, our cars, our walls, our food, etc.

For me, my joy is peeing. Can i pee on your face, your lungs, your clothes, your car, your walls, your food, etc..?"

Sorry for the p""ing word, but it was a quote.

I personally think those ads are great since it shows how non-smokers are tired of breathing that stinking deadly smell.

My mother died in part because of cigarette.

Mrmac

18. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

as an ex-smoker - i never really thought those ads were effective to me. when "the truth" ads came about, none of them really told me anything i didn't know. but i'm sure they are geared to the younger generation. warn them! scare them! bloat out the campaign as much as possible! its very VERY important that our kids never pick up smoking. as its the most awful thing someone can do to themselves. not only physically but mentally. its a mental sickness. as long as my kids play grand theft auto, drop e, and watch graphic war footage, i'll be happy as long as they ARE NOT smokers. and... not obese. as for the older generation, if you're a smoker going on for 20+ years, it becomes terminal, and you'll never quit. you've built your coffin. my uncle twice- almost exploded an oxygen tank that kept him alive because of cigarrette induced lung cancer with a cigarrette. an awful awful thing.

i may be a small part of the consensus - but i've never smoked in public - on the street or in a restaurant (which makes a great meal disgusting), not even in my house. when i visited someone such as my brother or my g/f, i didn't smoke at all. i also didn't pick up smoking because i wanted to be cool. that only happens to weak willed kids. and despite what most people think - it should be known that second hand smoke is caused by prolonged cigarrette exposure. not if you go to bar to have a drink and the guy next to you is smoking. the sad part from my observation, is that it feels like when someone finds out that you USED to smoke - you become frowned upon as if you cheated on your wife, or you were an ex-convict.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think the ads are aimed at kids as you stated. I also think they are there to protect the tobacco companies. No one can claim anymore they didn't know smoking was bad for them.

As for being an ex-smoker, my hat is off to you! My husband is an ex-smoker. His 3 year anniversary is right around now. I'm very proud of him now. It is easy for me to say: quit it is bad for you; I've never smoked. But it is much more powerful for someone who has been there and had to do it who has quit.

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My grandmother (85) has emphysema (sp?). I believe it is because my grandfather smoked untiil my mom was about 3. She has a lot of problems breathing now and it will probably ultimately kill her even though she never personally touched a cigarette. Even if she doesn't die prematurely from it, it certainly has lowered the quality of her life. Particularly over the last few years.

21. BaDBoY macrumors member

Sad to hear that.. but Amen to that quote. I dont know WHY people smoke. It really is disgusting. I cant stand the smell of it, not to mention, im EXXTREMELY sensitive to it.

Heres a story. My family and I went to Las Vegas a couple of years ago for vacation. Nothing unusual, same ol' Vegas, nothing for youngins to do. But anyway, We stayed in Harrah's hotel. My mom supposedly booked us a NON-Smokin room, but when i first walked in there, i could already smell the STENCH of the cigarette's, not to mention, my allergies and asthma started to attack me. I started to complain about it, so my mom called front desk to get the room "cleaned." Hours later after walking around on the strip, we went back to the hotel and i STILL can smell that stench; all the room service people did was spray an "air freshener." I tried to sleep with it, but my asthma REALLY started to attack. So i diliberately said "im sleeping in the car, there is no way im staying in this room." Obviously, my parents wouldnt let me, so i just stayed in the bathroom for a bit and my asthma attack died down. Surprisingly, I noticed that there was no cigarette stench in the bathroom....

So can you guess where I slept?

Its funny really, after we got back from Vegas, everyone was sick for two weeks EXCEPT me.

I have a really bad reaction to second hand smoking. If i stand next to someone for a short time (say 5-10 minutes) who is smoking, i get a bloody nose and an allergy attack. Oh what fun.

If you smoke, do everyone a favor. Drop that **** and live your life. Puffin your life away will make everything else you have disappear the same way: Your life, your friends (unless they smoke or dont mind), your girlfriend (unless they smoke or dont mind), and your money.

When you got no money, youll be like this one guy who comes at my work (i work at subway and a bagel shop) and asks for money, even pennies. He even jacks our tips! But there is only on thing he spends it on...

...Cigarettes.

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

No. They're great and I hope they keep the ads coming.

23. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I love the Malboro ads. Terrific, the British health secretary said something really stupid this week:

"Reid told a public meeting in London on Tuesday that for single mothers on neglected public housing estates, "the only enjoyment sometimes they have is to have a cigarette."

Reid, a former smoker, said it was important to "be very careful that you do not patronize people" when advising against smoking."

He should have been fired on the spot.

24. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

did anyone see the billboard with the limp ciggarette and the tag line "smoking causes impotency"?