Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
So you believe Apple, a public corporation owes you something?

quite far from it. i believe Apple owes the consumers nothing and consumers owe Apple nothing. consumers should never give money to businesses(in this case Apple) out of sentimental reasons and expect them to reciprocate their feelings later. in any given scenario, companies will cater to the groups who will earn them the most money, even if that means ignoring a group that has historically supported them and have strong feelings for the company. profits always win out in the end. as such, consumers should as well be 100% focused on their own satisfaction when buying products. rather than being a loyal customer

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I've returned "replacement" phone multiple times n a short time period because of the wifi option being dimming and unable to resolve, even when doing a restore via itunes, the Wifi option appeared ok, but after a few days it the option became dim again...

I had this replacement 3 phones all replaced 3 weeks of each other.... You telling me that Apple should "keep" this "replacement" up just to save on their manufacturing costs, when they fully well know based on my previous return history with these phones, there is obviously something wrong as a short replacement and 3 of then should of clicked alarm bells as "do u want a new phone ?"

That's why i was complain to them.. Apple keeps history of this stuff,, they should know how many phones i returned on a short 3 week date, and should of asked "me" not "me insisting them"

Although it could very well be all accidents too, but regardless, it was still three phones returned.. Apple just decided to do the tests on the returned phone after they sent out an express replacement, that's their problem without fully being aware of weather the customer is telling the truth or not. In any case,, that's my story..

and besides no charge to CC either, so they clearly accepted responsibility for that.
We've been an apple family since 2010 and we are happy customers and always Apple has done the right thing.

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
Yeah, to my own surprise I'm starting to hate the company that i have trusted to create my entire computer lineup, and and my work :confused:

1. When we enter into this closed ecosystem we buy into the unspoken promise that they wont eventually shaft us for it. But clearly they do
  2. The rubbercoating on their cables is horrible, so you look around for 3rd party replacements, and apple responds to that with their MFI program, instead of actually improving the faulty cables, and it becomes doubly frustrating. Now they ditch the headphone jack, further extending the frustrating apple ecosystem lockin with lightning headphones with many sideeffects that only have upsides for apple, and only have downsides for the consumer. And it becomes a sneaking feeling of them trying to "fence you in" and shaft you.
  3. Things does not work reliably anymore. Airplay is flakey, security management is flakey, notes get sectretly eaten by the notes app (or icloud) , icloud, backwards code compatibility.
  4. I'm losing belief in the idea of your data being "safe" with apple, photo management is bad, they drop backwards dataformat compatibility trying to come off as "cool" meanwhile real people actually need those for work no matter how cool or uncool they are.
  5. Their war against ports is frustrating, and the cool macbook guy from the commercials looks comical in real life all too often with all his dongles compared to the windows guy that simply plug stuff in the industry standard ports, that work!!!!
  6. Their take on flat design is the worst in the industry from a UX perspective but it is probably the nicest to look at as a piece of art in and of itself. Problem is that my iphone (or to a lesser degree macbook) is not of any use to me as a piece of art. I do not hang it on the wall!!!!!
    My iphone is actually used to get stuff done, and i want it to respond predictably. It is starting to seem to me like apple is qualifying their user interface from paper printouts, saying "yeah that looks great!!!!" when evaluating a piece of an app, without actually doing usability testing, without ANY consideration for the customers that actually use this piece of functionality to get work done.
    The upside for them is that their products are likely to do well in commercials, most reviews and looking over your friends shoulder, the downsides is that consumers are frustrated when they need to get their work done beyond the most basic functions
I'm starting to doubt if I have confidence in their technical skills, i'm absolutely unsure how far they will go to extort more money by degrading functionality and i have NO faith that they will try to use compatible dataformats suitable for long term work. Yes i'm starting to hate them and my next computer will be the best PC money can buy o_O

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah.... Largely valid complaints, sadly. I'm going to have to say though, as someone who supports and works with Windows PCs all day long during the week? I still have as many, if not more hassles on that side of the OS fence.

Just last weekend, I had a user tell me, "I can't use my Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 anymore! All of a sudden, it started closing itself about 1 second after I launch it." Turns out, I had to dig to find instructions on how to delete the whole application out of a hidden, cryptically named folder, followed by issuing a 3 line long command in Windows "PowerShell" (only after launching PowerShell with administrator rights) to make it re-download Edge and install it again.

I've also been struggling with such issues as bluetooth Microsoft branded mice not staying reliably connected to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 computers. (I'm told this is common because "Microsoft has some real QA problems with a lot of its accessories." and I should just buy another mouse and try again.) And for that matter, the Surface Pro 4 that my workplace standardized on has questionable reliability overall. We've already had one where the front-facing webcam in it stopped working, and another where the microphone stopped working. Still another has random, weird video sync problems when you attach 2 displays to it via the dock.

I guess what I'm saying is -- I think the whole computer industry suffers from a lack of concern about quality and a mentality that everything is disposable. Apple users are angry because for so long, most of us felt Apple was above all of that. Now, I think they've descended into the "norm" for the industry as a whole....

I will say, I *never* really trusted Apple with cloud services. From the early days of iDisk in OS X, it was known for sluggish performance and reliability issues. They botched the iCloud launch badly enough to bring the wrath of Steve Jobs down on the whole division. And ever since, I don't think they've ever really proven ANY of their cloud initiatives are very solid. The headaches with iTunes Music Match and then Apple Music further illustrate it. Honestly, providing good, solid cloud services that millions of people will use on a regular basis requires a LOT of resources on the back end. I think Apple sorely underestimated just how much was needed -- and it feels like every time they build a new data center and expand, they add some new cloud based thing that leaves them short of resources again. The only people making cloud work really well are folks who have a WHOLE business wrapped around it, like Google, Amazon or DropBox.

Yeah, to my own surprise I'm starting to hate the company that i have trusted to create my entire computer lineup, and and my work :confused:

1. When we enter into this closed ecosystem we buy into the unspoken promise that they wont eventually shaft us for it. But clearly they do
  2. The rubbercoating on their cables is horrible, so you look around for 3rd party replacements, and apple responds to that with their MFI program, instead of actually improving the faulty cables, and it becomes doubly frustrating. Now they ditch the headphone jack, further extending the frustrating apple ecosystem lockin with lightning headphones with many sideeffects that only have upsides for apple, and only have downsides for the consumer. And it becomes a sneaking feeling of them trying to "fence you in" and shaft you.
  3. Things does not work reliably anymore. Airplay is flakey, security management is flakey, notes get sectretly eaten by the notes app (or icloud) , icloud, backwards code compatibility.
  4. I'm losing belief in the idea of your data being "safe" with apple, photo management is bad, they drop backwards dataformat compatibility trying to come off as "cool" meanwhile real people actually need those for work no matter how cool or uncool they are.
  5. Their war against ports is frustrating, and the cool macbook guy from the commercials looks comical in real life all too often with all his dongles compared to the windows guy that simply plug stuff in the industry standard ports, that work!!!!
  6. Their take on flat design is the worst in the industry from a UX perspective but it is probably the nicest to look at as a piece of art in and of itself. Problem is that my iphone (or to a lesser degree macbook) is not of any use to me as a piece of art. I do not hang it on the wall!!!!!
    My iphone is actually used to get stuff done, and i want it to respond predictably. It is starting to seem to me like apple is qualifying their user interface from paper printouts, saying "yeah that looks great!!!!" when evaluating a piece of an app, without actually doing usability testing, without ANY consideration for the customers that actually use this piece of functionality to get work done.
    The upside for them is that their products are likely to do well in commercials, most reviews and looking over your friends shoulder, the downsides is that consumers are frustrated when they need to get their work done beyond the most basic functions
I'm starting to doubt if I have confidence in their technical skills, i'm absolutely unsure how far they will go to extort more money by degrading functionality and i have NO faith that they will try to use compatible dataformats suitable for long term work. Yes i'm starting to hate them and my next computer will be the best PC money can buy o_O

Reactions: jwkay

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
thinking about it I was shocked to realize I'd love to have back windows annoyances in return for getting rid of business breaking apple issues. Many years ago when I used windows for work i was never in any doubt that they would seek industry standards, remain backwards compatible or that my data would be safe with them (excluding malicious software), even if it was annoying to use it, and with vista and later windows 7 the interface got still more....unappealing to me, but the fundamentals were always solid.

With apple it seems like they ONLY focus on eliminating the little annoyances, their peripherals always work (or always used to work?) but the fundamentals are just not there anymore, they cannot be trusted to maintain dataformat compatibility, any data heavy cloud service and they discourage use of the filesystem for users to manage that stuff for yourself. The only way i can understand this is that the leadership in apple care mostly about how well their products present themselves in the store or in demonstrations, but carry few illusions or ambitions of actual real world performance. There was a time when i would never even question if apple would sabotage their users efforts to manage their own files in order to push cloud services, but i'm just not sure anymore.

what i'm saying is that while i did experience many hassles on windows they were relatively small, benign and never hidden, on the opposite side mac hassles seem to be at the very core, many of them a matter of strategy and many more silently hidden fails that should have lead to a crash or bluescreen but instead it's silent fails that breaks data with no warning, log or failmessage.

Yeah.... Largely valid complaints, sadly. I'm going to have to say though, as someone who supports and works with Windows PCs all day long during the week? I still have as many, if not more hassles on that side of the OS fence.

Just last weekend, I had a user tell me, "I can't use my Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 anymore! All of a sudden, it started closing itself about 1 second after I launch it." Turns out, I had to dig to find instructions on how to delete the whole application out of a hidden, cryptically named folder, followed by issuing a 3 line long command in Windows "PowerShell" (only after launching PowerShell with administrator rights) to make it re-download Edge and install it again.

I've also been struggling with such issues as bluetooth Microsoft branded mice not staying reliably connected to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 computers. (I'm told this is common because "Microsoft has some real QA problems with a lot of its accessories." and I should just buy another mouse and try again.) And for that matter, the Surface Pro 4 that my workplace standardized on has questionable reliability overall. We've already had one where the front-facing webcam in it stopped working, and another where the microphone stopped working. Still another has random, weird video sync problems when you attach 2 displays to it via the dock.

I guess what I'm saying is -- I think the whole computer industry suffers from a lack of concern about quality and a mentality that everything is disposable. Apple users are angry because for so long, most of us felt Apple was above all of that. Now, I think they've descended into the "norm" for the industry as a whole....

I will say, I *never* really trusted Apple with cloud services. From the early days of iDisk in OS X, it was known for sluggish performance and reliability issues. They botched the iCloud launch badly enough to bring the wrath of Steve Jobs down on the whole division. And ever since, I don't think they've ever really proven ANY of their cloud initiatives are very solid. The headaches with iTunes Music Match and then Apple Music further illustrate it. Honestly, providing good, solid cloud services that millions of people will use on a regular basis requires a LOT of resources on the back end. I think Apple sorely underestimated just how much was needed -- and it feels like every time they build a new data center and expand, they add some new cloud based thing that leaves them short of resources again. The only people making cloud work really well are folks who have a WHOLE business wrapped around it, like Google, Amazon or DropBox.

Reactions: Ebenezum

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
With apple it seems like they ONLY focus on eliminating the little annoyances, their peripherals always work (or always used to work?) but the fundamentals are just not there anymore, they cannot be trusted to maintain dataformat compatibility, any data heavy cloud service and they discourage use of the filesystem for users to manage that stuff for yourself.

I have been concerned with changes Apple has made in file formats, for example current iWork is no longer based on xml and I'm not sure what will happen if Apple decides to abandon iWork. It seems to be impossible to open files created on current versions of iWork if one loses access to software for some reason.

I plan to use iWork 09 for now but in the long run its possible I have to completely abandon Apple software.

As for iCloud I don't use it because I don't trust it at all, Apples record with Cloud services isn't exactly stellar.

Hanson Eigilson

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2016
I have been concerned with changes Apple has made in file formats, for example current iWork is no longer based on xml and I'm not sure what will happen if Apple decides to abandon iWork. It seems to be impossible to open files created on current versions of iWork if one loses access to software for some reason.

I plan to use iWork 09 for now but in the long run its possible I have to completely abandon Apple software.

As for iCloud I don't use it because I don't trust it at all, Apples record with Cloud services isn't exactly stellar.
I feel your pain, but answer me this, what kind of company completely does this to it's customers ????
And on top of issues like that, they do not even encourage you to manage files yourself, they hide them better and better in a million little way so you are left with business breaking incompatibilities and no way to recover because the files you needed were ignored or whatever by some secretary.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I feel your pain, but answer me this, what kind of company completely does this to it's customers ????
And on top of issues like that, they do not even encourage you to manage files yourself, they hide them better and better in a million little way so you are left with business breaking incompatibilities and no way to recover because the files you needed were ignored or whatever by some secretary.

I have no idea why Apple decided to change the format. Maybe there are valid technical reasons but I haven't found any reliable information about the reasons behind the chance.

I agree that it makes no sense that Apple is pushing for automatic file management, for consumer it might work but I can't work effectively in closed environment like iOS. I'm hoping Apple isn't going remove file management completely but Sierra has some troubling features like Optimised Storage.

I could be wrong but I'm starting to suspect that $ is too high priority for Apple leadership, while Mac isn't a priority for Apple anymore I just don't see see any point in many of the changes made in OS X and Mac models in the last years (removing features from OS, glueing components in Macs etc.

I don't know what I will do once my current Mac Pro 2009 dies, I have been thinking about Linux or BSD as alternatives but I have lot of investment in the software and it would painful to transition to another OS. Unfortunately given the direction Apple is heading I may have no other choice in the long term.

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
I sadly see Apple very differently than I did years ago. My list of issues:

1) Neglect for Mac systems : I am now on my 2nd Macbook Pro (2012 retina) and also have a 2012 Mac Mini. My retina Macbook Pro is now 4 years old and I would have upgraded it before now if Apple had done things like updated it with later Intel processors, upgraded the GPU or reduced the overall size (shrinking the display bezel etc). My video work would really have benefitted. Seeing the Mac Pro as an ideal example there is no pride left in Apple anymore to give consumers the latest and greatest. When you're paying top pound/dollar you don't expect to compromise. With the current outdated line up there is no way I would consider updating any of my machines.

2) Obsession with iPhone/Watch : In contrast to (1) and the howls of some who may say "Why would they update the Mac line each year when there's only minor improvement in CPU's" - how come the iPhone/Watch is different? There is little innovation yet an iPhone user can be sure there will be an updated model each year whether there is meaningful improvement or not. And don't get me started on how much engineering effort seems to be poured into bands.....

3) Software quality : Having used Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard etc using Yosemite/El Capitan is such a disappointment. Bloated, inefficient and with plenty of serious bugs (Safari crashing my system being the worst, but terrible SMB is also high up there) there is a definite case of 'Core rot' within OS X/Mac OS development. I await Sierra with some caution. What's happened with initiatives like Metal? Why is Compressor still 32-bit, buggy and doesn't see any updates for years? Lots of products seem to just be languishing whilst a pointless feature like Siri is introduced to MacOS as a 'headline' upgrade feature because it's 'cool' or 'courageous' ;)

4) Arrogance : 20 years ago I don't believe that any company would have been able to process transactions through other countries to reduce tax to the extent that Apple have. I understand their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders but this really is extreme. These arrangements were artificial and are unjustifiable yet Apple do not see any moral responsibility. I think people will look back and see these arrangements as being incredibly unfair. I believe that Apple and other companies now need a short sharp shock to reset their and other companies practices.

In summary I now feel a bit disillusioned by Apple and am actively looking at moving to Windows/Linux for my systems in the future and a non-iPhone for when I need to replace my 5S. The Apple ecosystem was always a bit 'special' - cost more, compatibility issues, a bit of lock in - but it was worth it for quality and innovation. Both the quality and innovation seem to have fallen to the wayside and there is some considerable contempt for the customer and the countries they sell their products in.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I hate Apple for deleting the tools I need for my trade.

Apple has deleted the products I need for my trade, all to maximize their profit, but is there not a responsibility for Apple to give people the tools for using OSX, not just the people that bring profit, but the wider business and professional community?

I am a writer, and I stare at the screen all day and night long, literally.

I hate Apple for deleting the matte or anti-glare screen. They kept it at least for the 15" MacBook Pro - but the removed any mention of it from their advertising material, and then had the temerity to say no one wanted anti-glare screens, and deleted the last remaining 15" option.

Now Apple brings an anti-glare coating to the iPad. What does Apple think - that everyone loves glare on their Macs and iMacs? Even with the lower level of glare on the current iMacs and Retinas, I don't want to see any reflected image. It's fine for people watching movies and Facebook, but as a writer I do not want any reflected image.

With a pile of cash so disgustingly large, can't Apple just offer an anti-glare option for one lousing model?

What about offering the 17" screen for those professionals who need it?

Why can't Apple settle for less cash and meet the needs of professionals and business people?

Being an OS supplier comes with responsibility for the wide range of people that use it. Whatever you can say about Microsoft, they do take the responsibility seriously knowing that people's livelihood depends on their OS.

So by forcing me off the iMac because of a lack of matte screen, the option was for me to use the Mac Mini with 3rd party matte screen - but now Apple solders in the RAM and hard drive, and removes the quad core option - so if I use an external matte screen, I have to settle for a really dumbed down Mac Mini.

For all the years I've used Macs, I have always updated the RAM and even hard drives.

I hate Apple for removing features from software we need -- and only when there's a public outcry of re-inserting the features. But what if people need certain features, but there were not enough numbers to force Apple's hand?

Removing the "save as" in Lion.

Removing the ability in Calendar to stipulate the time to postpone the item. Who is the idiot at Apple who forced us to postpone an item only around 15 minutes. Why remove the ability to postpone it for a range of selected time periods. Sure, because of the outcry, they brought it back in Mavericks, but I didn't upgrade to Mavericks because Apple totally stuffed up Apple Mail for IMAP, at least in the initial dot iterations, and I so reply on IMAP that I can't take the risk. If you read reports by Mail app designers, it's the inner workings of Mavericks Mail that are the reason for them messing with IMAP. It worked beautifully in Mountain Lion, and then they stuffer it up in Mavericks.

I have a MacBook Air that I can't upgrade the RAM. I hate that. Sure they can argue they needed to make the Air thinner, but that argument does not apply to soldering in the RAM in the Mac Mini. The Mini does not need to be thinner.

I hate Apple disdain for its users by dumbing down software. Do more advanced users buy so few Macs that we are not worth catering to?

I hate Apple's swarmy claim that they just want to make great products, but that includes a ruthless culling of products and features needed by substantial minorities. Let's say if 15-25% of people prefer anti-glare screens, that's not a small minority. The fact is, by deleting matte screens, those people still remain Apple users, and are forced to accept glossy screens - so Apple does not lose money, but Apple is not meeting the needs of those users. I've stayed with Apple, because OSX is superior to Windows, and I can't help that I find most Windows hardware just totally ugly. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I hate it that Apple bakes into the OS a range of piddly features that they could easily have done as standalone apps. e.g. iCloud Drive. Why couldn't they do what Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft's One Drive, and made their cloud app as a standalone app. I'll tell you why? So that we have to upgrade the OS and get new hardware if our Mac is too old to run the latest OS.

Why should we have to upgrade OS to get Apple Maps? It's an App. There are tons of map apps that stand alone? Why bake Maps into the OS? The same reason Bill Gates entwined Explorer into Windows, and got hauled over the coals for anti-competitive behavior. Apple is the same. Money corrupts.

Look, people, a company like Apple does not get the largest stash of cash in corporate history by thinking first of the customer's needs. They do so by thinking of every strategy to make money. I don't begrudge them that since most corporations are ruthless. But I think it means my former love for Apple has been misplaced. I should just see Apple computers as a tool, that should be dumped if something better comes along, and feel no sadness when Apple gets consigned to the scrapheap of history like every company that had its day.

I hate Apple now because many years ago, I feel in love with a company that did do the above, but somehow the company soured into a Wall Street profit-pleaser, and no longer cares about the people who bought into the dream of thinking different.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
WELL written...very well written.

pth231

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
Hate is a really strong word, and to apply that feeling to a single gadget manufacturer that no is forcing you to buy or stick with is asinine.
You could also say the same thing for the "strength" you find behind the word hate.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When you see a company not treat map shares probably as it should.

eg. In the Windows world. u would just click in "My computer" connect as admin if u need full access, and from then on anything u do has access to that share as well, even without password saved (this is only temporary during the session) while Windows is running

Now, on mac, u connect to share as admin, *but unless u save password in key-chain which would compromise security all the time*, u would loose access as admin, when u moved away from the NAS and/or open iTunes..

Its not that big a deal, and the "small" things shouldn't worry, *but* there are allot of small thing which do add up over time... The workaround is usually an app, or just stick with how it is..

This kinda gets me as i have to re-think my brain as "ah, that's how Apple does it... Weird"

Anyone always been in the Apple world would just take for guaranteed, this is how it always is... but if u even go outside the eco-system, u'd actually find a better logic world out there to play in.

I sadly see Apple very differently than I did years ago. My list of issues:

1) Neglect for Mac systems : I am now on my 2nd Macbook Pro (2012 retina) and also have a 2012 Mac Mini. My retina Macbook Pro is now 4 years old and I would have upgraded it before now if Apple had done things like updated it with later Intel processors, upgraded the GPU or reduced the overall size (shrinking the display bezel etc). My video work would really have benefitted. Seeing the Mac Pro as an ideal example there is no pride left in Apple anymore to give consumers the latest and greatest. When you're paying top pound/dollar you don't expect to compromise. With the current outdated line up there is no way I would consider updating any of my machines.

2) Obsession with iPhone/Watch : In contrast to (1) and the howls of some who may say "Why would they update the Mac line each year when there's only minor improvement in CPU's" - how come the iPhone/Watch is different? There is little innovation yet an iPhone user can be sure there will be an updated model each year whether there is meaningful improvement or not. And don't get me started on how much engineering effort seems to be poured into bands.....

3) Software quality : Having used Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard etc using Yosemite/El Capitan is such a disappointment. Bloated, inefficient and with plenty of serious bugs (Safari crashing my system being the worst, but terrible SMB is also high up there) there is a definite case of 'Core rot' within OS X/Mac OS development. I await Sierra with some caution. What's happened with initiatives like Metal? Why is Compressor still 32-bit, buggy and doesn't see any updates for years? Lots of products seem to just be languishing whilst a pointless feature like Siri is introduced to MacOS as a 'headline' upgrade feature because it's 'cool' or 'courageous' ;)

4) Arrogance : 20 years ago I don't believe that any company would have been able to process transactions through other countries to reduce tax to the extent that Apple have. I understand their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders but this really is extreme. These arrangements were artificial and are unjustifiable yet Apple do not see any moral responsibility. I think people will look back and see these arrangements as being incredibly unfair. I believe that Apple and other companies now need a short sharp shock to reset their and other companies practices.

I agree in software quality... It seems dialog boxes errors reports are all clustered in the same "fix" kinda thing... As, its not specific enough to tell you.. why something failed. just gives u a general reason just happens to be the same reason for other errors too.

Microsoft does the same thing.

As Arrogance, I guess Apple is not the only one here that avoids taxes...

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Regarding network share drives in Windows ... If you have any decent-sized business/office environment using Windows Server, you should really be using Microsoft's Active Directory and domains. With that properly configured, the account you sign into your Mac with is authenticated by the Microsoft AD server and the share drives you connect to are always authenticated against with that same username/password you signed in with. (So as long as you have permission to them on the server, you get access to them as soon as you map them on the Mac.)

In this configuration, you can tell the Mac that you want the account to be of the "mobile" type, as well. That way, the Mac saves a local copy of the login info and settings so the account still works when you're not connected to the office network, where the Active Directory server can see you trying to sign in.

Otherwise, I understand what you're saying about the Mac wanting to store a password in the keychain all the time, before you can use it to connect to a share drive. But how is that really a security compromise? If you're given the password for that share, we can assume you're supposed to have access to it -- regardless of whether you memorize it in your head or the Mac stores it in an encrypted keychain file for your future convenience.

When you see a company not treat map shares probably as it should.

eg. In the Windows world. u would just click in "My computer" connect as admin if u need full access, and from then on anything u do has access to that share as well, even without password saved (this is only temporary during the session) while Windows is running

Now, on mac, u connect to share as admin, *but unless u save password in key-chain which would compromise security all the time*, u would loose access as admin, when u moved away from the NAS and/or open iTunes..

Its not that big a deal, and the "small" things shouldn't worry, *but* there are allot of small thing which do add up over time... The workaround is usually an app, or just stick with how it is..

This kinda gets me as i have to re-think my brain as "ah, that's how Apple does it... Weird"

Anyone always been in the Apple world would just take for guaranteed, this is how it always is... but if u even go outside the eco-system, u'd actually find a better logic world out there to play in.

I agree in software quality... It seems dialog boxes errors reports are all clustered in the same "fix" kinda thing... As, its not specific enough to tell you.. why something failed. just gives u a general reason just happens to be the same reason for other errors too.

Microsoft does the same thing.

As Arrogance, I guess Apple is not the only one here that avoids taxes...

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Everywhere, my trust in both Apple and M$ and even Google have plummeted. With m$, the GWX upgrade really caused tons of stress and starting today, I have to patch my 8.1 Alienware manually.

With Apple, i'm not a fan of the iPhone 6 losing it's headphone jack. That does not top my biggest frustraition; making it a burden to switch to Android (just wanted to try something new and switched last week December) . Currently dealing with texting issues with my friend. His phone still tries to text me via iMessage just because I used to have a old iPhone. I de-registrred it way before I switched and, still to this day, he cannot text me. Everyone else's iPhone has now converted from iMessage to sms but his, nope not his. Apple store and AT&T store are confused why this is happening.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It's the little things. The myriad of little things. Just wanting it to work without having to note the "oh by the way" or "have to do this to make that work" that continue to plague iOS.
Latest pitas:
  1. Random calls just die even with a great signal on LTE (ATT)
  2. Can send >5 photos in an email (stock) but if saving photos from an email even though it says "save 7 images", only 5 will actually be saved. Anything >5 I have to save individually.
  3. Camera won't focus randomly on launch - have to kill and relaunch
It's the little things :(

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Yesterday we spent two hours trying to authorise an iPad Air 2 for iCloud after iOS 10 update. It said there was a code on trusted device. There wasn't. In the process of trying I accidentally "un-trusted" the iMac. Managed to get that code sent to our Android mobile, but the iPad code still wouldn't appear anywhere and there's no "send by SMS" option when you're authorising an iPad. Finally I ended up switching off two-factor authentication completely and now iPad works with iCloud. I would like to see a grandpa who bought Apple products because They Just Work doing that.

Reactions: George Dawes

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Yesterday we spent two hours trying to authorise an iPad Air 2 for iCloud after iOS 10 update. It said there was a code on trusted device. There wasn't. In the process of trying I accidentally "un-trusted" the iMac. Managed to get that code sent to our Android mobile, but the iPad code still wouldn't appear anywhere and there's no "send by SMS" option when you're authorising an iPad. Finally I ended up switching off two-factor authentication completely and now iPad works with iCloud. I would like to see a grandpa who bought Apple products because They Just Work doing that.

He'd do what mine used to do; "Hi! Do you have a minute? I am having a problem ..." ;)

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
I hate how Adobe Suite behaves on Mac. I'm dumping it and putting it on Windows.
The Mac gives me the beachball everytime I open the Fonts menu on either an office or design program.
I hate how painfully slow restart and shutdown times are.
This is on a maxed out 2012 quad i7 Mini with 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and 16GB RAM.
I'm going to only use my Mac partition for Apple-only programs, the rest of the time it's Windows because the Mac OS is so sluggish and bloated now.

I hate Tim Cook's Apple.

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
I hate how Adobe Suite behaves on Mac. I'm dumping it and putting it on Windows.
The Mac gives me the beachball everytime I open the Fonts menu on either an office or design program.
I hate how painfully slow restart and shutdown times are.
This is on a maxed out 2012 quad i7 Mini with 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and 16GB RAM.
I'm going to only use my Mac partition for Apple-only programs, the rest of the time it's Windows because the Mac OS is so sluggish and bloated now.

I hate Tim Cook's Apple.

You are not alone with a beachballing Mac. Apple has taken it's eye off the Mac ball. Gushers of profits from iPhones are covering up mismanagement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.