are any of your friends sceretly ...

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Feb 25, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

I have freinds at school and some will even get in fights with me about how mac's suck when I try and say they're good computers. I think they're secretly jealous and just don't want to admit it. PC's crash a whole lot more than mac's and there are a tone more viruses. Anyway my point is it's really frustrating because it's like talking to someone that believe's bush is a good president or that there is no difference between Democrats and Republican's.
    Today I had a conversation with someone that loves mac's. She told me she had a friend that had one and she would always try and use it etc. Anyway what are you guys experiences? Are you having to defend your self all the time? -n

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

My friends at school are similar, but the main thing I hate about it is that they never justify anything, and in fact half their arguments are completely untrue anyway. It's obvious that they don't know what they're talking about though, because sometimes they ask me questions like "Can Macs go on networks?". Some of them have never even seen Mac OS X.
    That's why I like to talk to people in the Mac community, because they generally know what they're talking about and seem to have much more open minds.

3. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

One thing I've started to do is when i see someone with a laptop or something, which recently has been happening a lot, I start talking to them about it. I ask them if they've seen the music libraries if they have the new iTunes. What they think of the music store? Apple? and if they're happy with their computers. I also tell them about this website! (Of course now it's a lot harder to register) But It's really cool way to start conversation and I haven't met one person who's gotten a new laptop that's been unsatisfied.

But yea, I was actually beggining to think that my problem was an Evergreen thing! thax -n

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's funny, I often see threads that look intersting, and a lot of the time I find that HexMonkey's posted in them too. We must have similar interests :)

Getting back on topic, I have a friend that says he doesn't like Macs, but I think secretly he does like them. I've posted this before, but I'm sure most of you haven't seen it:

He comes round to visit one day. Makes an anti-Mac comment.
    Comes back the next day, another anti-Mac comment.
    Comes back the next day, Mac comment.
    Mum: Why are you spending so much time around here on [Nermal's] computer? Don't you have your own computer?
    Him: Yeah, but this one's better than mine.

:D

5. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

You're just biased 'cause you're both from NZ...

Anyways, I given up defending the Mac, it's a waste of time. Not that I think it's not worth defending, but I've got better stuff to do with my time... If people want to use Windows and feel good about it, what do I care. Let the poor eat cake! :eek: :p

[Edit: Check this guy out! ]

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I guess so, I've noticed the same thing too. :)

I haven't been so lucky. A couple of weeks ago I decided to show OS X to one of my friends who's never seen it (and then if he didn't like it, it least he'd be able to say why). He didn't admit he liked it, but the worst thing he could say about it was that he didn't like the size and visibility of the Dock. I told him it's customizable, but he didn't listen. :rolleyes:
    I think it's time to give up...
    ...Or maybe get some new friends :D

7. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Hmmmm so you suspect he's secretly envious of your big dock? ;)

8. Opteron macrumors 6502

Should I take offence to that:rolleyes:, probabley, but myeh:p

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: are any of your friends sceretly ...

I think it's pretty sad that anyone would have to defend their choice in computers. It's a tool. A vessel for creating something. It's an overglorified office item.

Sure, I think the Mac OS is a superior product to windows. And sure, the G5 is superior to Intel based processors. And yes, I have an investment in Apple that keeps me coming back.

Just like, while I may like the Canon 1d mk II, I have a high investment n NIkon lenses and education, so i'll wait a month for what Nikon releases next. And go from there.

But honestly, all this Mac v PC, PC users jealous, PC users this, etc etc etc... i think the time would be better spent with a hobby that DOESN"T involved incessant complaining and whatnot about computers.

The weather is breaking. Buy a camera and go run around taking pics. Get a dog and a frisbee and enjoy his company. Find a tree and read a book. Just don't keep complaining about PCs vs Macs and how superior macs are and how PC users are jealous because we get to buy metal cased G5s blah blah blah

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: are any of your friends sceretly ...

it comes down to the level of maturity of the individual. If you spout off inanities and condemn something without real proof, you just look like an idiot.

And it goes both ways, someone who love's macs condemning a pc.

The debate on which platform is best will continue endlessly......

D

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: Re: are any of your friends sceretly ...

True... but I bet you could be almost as productive on a PC as a Mac. (only almost because you're a daily mac user, not so much on PC).

But yea... It's just a machine. And really... the operator is the best platform. If you have a good PC user vs a crappy Mac user... the PC beats the mac everytime!

it's a moot point. Which is why it's more fun to be creative and not worry about which soon to be obsolete machine is better! :D

12. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

as an avid PC basher i've been always supporting Mac because i have always loved the integration of software and hardware, yes i would pay a premium, but i would know that it was made for my system with similar or identical hardware.

However with the switch of OS X to a Unix system, and the mainstream use of Linux i have become more specific in my bashing of Windows/microsoft, but have been acknowledging that Intel and AMD are not to blame for the short comings of mr. gates operating system

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think it is more M$ users ignorance than being jealous. . . i have people tell me mac is not compatible with anything (refering to documents and such) and then they are surprised when i burn a CD pop it into a windows machine and the data is there! noone knows enough to be jealous. . . until they use a mac. i let my little bro play with my PB for a bit and now he loves it (so i gave him my old iBook to play around with) just because it doesnt look the same, people think it wont work the same (or consider that it would work better, wich OS X does, it works in a more friendly/better manner than any other OS)

14. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Friends? If I had real friends I wouldn't need the internet!

And besides, most criticisms from PC users about the Mac OS are superficial and impulsive in a vain attempt to camouflage their ignorance.

And they all smell of boiled cabbage.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, thanks....didn't know it was that easy to pick out the PC users :p

Moxie: I got started on a Mac and that's why I'm on it still. Just like your lens issue with Canon and Nikon, in this case its a software issue. The bottom line is what you do with the computer that matters...

D

16. dynamicd macrumors 6502

At school, I always find that my friends knock macs but then when they're pc's start to F-up they come to me to try and fix it.

17. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Get used to it. It's like that round here at work, and it's the same when family members ring me. So by the time you get to my age you'll be considered a computer God. Whereas I joined the Mac worship group later in life, and am more of a High Priest with a big hat.:)

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Re: are any of your friends sceretly ...

Dude...girl Mac fanatics are rare gems. Ask her out! :D

19. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

A lot of the guys in my major (Computer science) are/were anti-mac...I got my 17" powerbook...wow, changed MANY of their minds just by looking at the machine. Its beautiful

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Just ask them reasons why macs sucks.

If they can't back up their lame claims they have no case.

Thts what I did for my friends, they are still not liking macs, but they don't bash them because they don't have a case against me.

21. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Lol, a bit OT, but my professor brought it up AGAIN in class today *_*

I think he secretly wants the class to talk bout it, but nobody in class really gives a hoot about it. I think i'm just going to ask him directly one of these days why he keeps bringing it up haha.

By the way, he brought up the topic in the context of technological inertia...

*Why are they coming to you for PC help? I am not saying you aren't as knowledgeable about XP or whatever, but since you spend more time on your Mac, I am wondering why they would come to you first (vs. your standard PC geek) :)

22. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

I've found this doesn't work, they just make things up. Today I was confronted by someone who told me "Macs can't even go on the internet. They're just giant calculators." Obviously I wasn't going to bother wasting my time with someone like that, so I just ignored them.
    Although I already know that anyone who has tried to tell me that Macs suck have no case, not necessarily because Macs are better, but because they never justify anything.

My computing lecturer brought up macs the other day. He said "The best operating system by far is Mac OS X, but it's useless because it runs on a Mac and no one uses Macs". I wasn't sure how to take it. :rolleyes:

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

haha that's messed up. My professor (history professor) actually has used both Mac and PCs, but he says it in a funny way.

"The people who have used Macs say that it is the best OS in comparison to Windows"...a strange way to put it. Maybe he's trying to be P.C. (politically correct); but then he inserts the "kind of like PC vs. Mac" when it has no relevance to our discussion.

Which is funny because i can tell he's itching to talk about it. :)

*Ok that comment about Macs not being able to go onto the Internet is scary. Just plain scary. By the way, one of the girls i know who loves Pshopping absolutely LOVES the Mac appearance (uses Mac themes, icons, etc.).

And yet, she still doesn't want a Mac. She is paying for everything in college right now, so it might be a bit hard to put out that kind of money right now though.

24. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

What's wrong with cake anyways? ;)

There's nothing intrinsicly (sp?) wrong with PCs, they get the job done. It's all about personal experience and preference. Hence the waste of time "defending" the Mac.